Back-to-school Q&A

September 23, 2008

By Staff

When is the first and last day of school?

School starts Sept. 3. Because it’s a Wednesday, schools are on the Learning Improvement Calendar schedule, with middle and high schools beginning later and elementary students starting earlier. School ends June 15. Learn more at

Which bus should my student ride?

Families should receive a yellow card in their mailboxes the first week of September with information about bus stops and schedules. Go to for answers to frequently asked questions and phone numbers for bus schedules.

What school supplies should students have?

School supply needs are posted at each school and, in most cases, on each school’s Web page at

When will students find out who their teachers are?

Because of federal privacy law, elementary schools will not post class lists this year. Instead, students should receive a post card with class assignments in the mail the first week of September. Secondary students receive schedules during back-to-school business days.

Who can answer curriculum questions?

Classroom teachers are the best source of information about learning expectations. For other questions, principals have the best firsthand information. District-level curriculum questions can be answered by the Teaching and Learning Services Department. Call 837-7030.

How can parents get more involved?

To volunteer in a classroom, contact the teacher. Many elementary schools have art and science docent programs, in which trained parents present lessons. Issaquah’s PTSA chapter,, is one of the largest and most active in the state. Parents begin by joining at their child’s school. Another opportunity is the VOICE mentor program,, which pairs an adult with an at-risk student for a year or more. District-level task force teams include such groups as the Graduation Requirements Steering Committee, District Advisory Team and Boundary Advisory Committee. Team positions are advertised on the Web site and in school newsletters.

Who should students or parents call with questions?

For district-level questions, call the main number, 837-7000, or try the Web site,

How can students change schools?

Every February, the district accepts applications from students who want to transfer to another school or to another district. Closed Issaquah schools can only take new students when others leave. Students can apply to attend a closed school, but entrance isn’t guaranteed. Students who transfer into the district from other districts must reapply each year, and continuing open enrollment is not guaranteed every year. Call 837-7010.

Where can students or parents find lunch menus?

These are posted on the district’s Web site.

How do I pay for school-related items, such as yearbooks, parking passes and Associated Student Body cards?

Secondary school students can pay for those items during back-to-school business days or by contacting the main office during the school year. Cash and checks are accepted. If elementary schools produce yearbooks or other fee-based items, the schools will alert parents regarding details.

Is there a district check policy?

For a check to be an acceptable form of payment, it must include your full and accurate name, current address and telephone number. Alternative forms of payment may be used instead, such as cash or a cashier’s check.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , ,


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.