Roy Shultz

October 22, 2008

By Contributor

Roy Shultz

At 95 years of age, Roy, a three-year resident of Chewelah, said his final goodbyes on Monday, Sept. 8, 2008, with June, his wife of nearly 70 years, by his side.Born William Roy Shultz on Nov. 25, 1912, in Leduc, Alberta, Canada, Roy was the fourth of 11 children of George Roy Shultz and Hazel Marie MacMillan, all of whom have predeceased him. Along with his wife June, survivors include sons Bill (Eileen) and Ed (Carol); five grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

The family returned to their home in the Snoqualmie Valley when Roy was 9. He spent a portion of his junior high years with his grandmother in Wenatchee. After graduating from Snoqualmie High School in 1932, Roy worked many jobs along the West Coast, including the Civilian Conservation Corps.

Roy married June Adele Morris on Oct. 22, 1938, settling in Issaquah, purchasing the house that is currently part of the Issaquah Historical Museum. 

In 1942, Roy enlisted in the Navy, eventually becoming an aviation metalsmith assigned to the Lighter than Air Division, working on blimps in South Weymouth, Mass.

Roy and June returned to Issaquah in 1945, bringing their month-old son. In 1947, they built their red brick home just north of the creek, where they lived until 2005.

Roy spent many years as a volunteer fireman for the Issaquah Fire Department and was instrumental in attaining retirement benefits for the volunteers. 

During the 1960s, he served as the head of the City Parks Department.

Roy retired from the Grange Supply, but he would always say his favorite job had been driving a bus for the Issaquah School District. Many students, especially from the Coalfield area, remember him well.

Fishing, hunting and trailering were his passions, including a road trip across the continental U.S. and numerous trips to Alaska. Wedding anniversaries were often spent in the woods around a campfire with friends. 

Plans always included being home for the monthly Friday night poker game.

In retirement, Roy worked many hours “tinkering” on his son Bill’s dairy farm and assuming pitchfork duty while his grandchildren showed their cows at the fair. When his son Ed purchased a resort on Waitts Lake, Roy parked his trailer for the last time, enjoying the fishing and the grandkids.

A committal service was held Oct. 18, at the Lower Hillside Cemetery. A memorial and reception followed at the Issaquah Senior Center.

Arrangements are by Flintoft’s Funeral Home and Crematory.

Friends are invited to share memories and sign the family’s online guest book at

Bookmark and Share


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.