Child and Adult Care food program funds available

January 5, 2009

By Staff


Federal funds for meal assistance are available to area organizations that serve children and eligible adults. The federal Child and Adult Care Food program funds are available to eligible nonresidential licensed child-care centers, family day-care homes, homeless shelters, at-risk centers and some adult day-care centers in Washington.

The program reimburses some costs associated with serving well-balanced, nutritious meals and snacks to children and qualified adults. 

Reimbursement is determined based on the family income of the children or adults the facility serves. However, meals served to eligible homeless and at-risk children are reimbursed at a free rate. 

The following care centers and institutions may participate in the program:

4Nonprofit, licensed, tax-exempt child-care institutions.

4For-profit child-care institutions in which at least 25 percent of the children served are low income, based on the center’s licensed capacity or enrolled capacity, whichever is less.

4Child-care centers that serve at-risk children.

4Nonprofit homeless shelters that provide temporary residential facilities to children.

The program is administered by the state superintendent’s Office of Public Instruction and has been providing assistance to area care-giving facilities since 1989. 

Learn more about child and adult meal assistance at

Bookmark and Share


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.