Second student death shakes Issaquah High School

April 1, 2009

By Chantelle Lusebrink

NEW — 6 a.m. April 1, 2009

School counselors reported to Issaquah High School Tuesday after school officials were notified that Kevin Conroy Tork, a 15-year-old sophomore, had died in Seattle.

Bellevue Police responded to the call, but the case is still under investigation, said Greg Grannis, the department’s public information officer.

The cause and manner of death is pending, according to the King County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Principal Paula Phelps and school counselors went to each classroom and notified students and teachers of the death.

The additional school counselors remained on campus throughout the day to assist students and employees with the news.

The student’s death comes just weeks after Issaquah High School junior Nicholas Bethel died in Seattle on March 3.

The cause and manner of Bethel’s death are still pending, as the toxicology report has not come back yet, according to the Medical Examiner’s Office. Results from those tests could take up to 10 weeks.

Parents should be aware of changes in their student’s physical and emotional behaviors in coming days and weeks. Changes in behavior can include, sadness, anger, irritability, anxiety, loneliness, numbness, indifference, detachment, listlessness, headaches, stomachaches, nausea, and appetite, according to school information.

Students and parents can call the high school’s counseling center at 837-6140 for guidance or additional information.

——-

Memorial

St. Louise Catholic Church

2-3 p.m. viewing

4 p.m. Mass, with reception to follow

141 156th Ave. S.E., Bellevue

Other Stories of Interest:

Comments

8 Responses to “Second student death shakes Issaquah High School”

1. Issaquah High School Student on April 1st, 2009 7:57 pm

Kevin was an awesome person! I was blessed to have him in my life for the short time that I knew him. My life will never be the same. He touched my heart and never will leave now. He will always stay with me, in my mind, in my heart, in my soul. He was amazing! Rest in peace, Kevin…I will never forget you.

Issaquah High School Student

2. Anonymous on April 2nd, 2009 12:54 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about tragic news. The Tork family is in my thoughts!

3. Ian Massey on April 3rd, 2009 6:26 pm

Kevin was a great kid…I was even called his best friend by him and his parents…Lasted the friendship of time (4 years), distance (Issaquah-Kennewick), and never got into fights with each other…Every single day my mom and I would look forward to his calls or playing online…Now those days are gone…All the fun will be remembered even though they won’t happen again…RIP Kevin…You will be missed…

4. Sydney Cormier on April 4th, 2009 12:01 pm

I only knew Kevin for less than half the year. I’m a senior at issy, but he sat at our lunch table every day. He will be missed.

5. Issaquah Junior on April 4th, 2009 8:04 pm

The reason Nick Died, is known just not publicly he was such a great friend of mine and Kevin rode my bus, he didn’t like to talk much but im sorry for the Tork’s loss.

6. Liberty Alum on April 4th, 2009 10:40 pm

It’s never easy losing a friend/student… My years at Liberty – we lost far too many… Count your blessings each and every day…

7. Amy Endicott on April 7th, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks for this info for I have small children and sat them down and we read your message with lots of tears all around our table!! God bless you Kevin, I will here your message and pass it to everybody I know!! Bless this family

8. Sophomore on April 30th, 2009 3:22 pm

God bless his family.

Kevin rode my bus in 9th grade and he was a respectable person. What a tragic end at such a young age.

He will be missed.