Beloved rooster McNugget survives pit bull attack

August 18, 2009

By Hunter Deiglmeier

McNugget

McNugget

McNugget the rooster was attacked by a customer’s pit bull Aug. 2, but it seems he’s going to be OK.

McNugget lives near The Grange, Staples and Your Espresso.

“I was here when it happened,” said Teresa Mercado, who works at Your Espresso, previously known as Espresso Time. “Basically, I was working and I heard the rooster screaming — the pit bull had the rooster in its mouth.”

Luckily, the rooster was freed from the pit bull’s jaws, but after the attack “he was limping and scared, and he was hiding for three days,” she said.

Now, McNugget is back to his normal habits.“Just the same old thing,” Mercado said.

Patti Kreager, clothing buyer at The Grange, said McNugget has previously “escaped a coyote coming down Gilman Boulevard and a cougar.”

He has escaped everything so far, but the pit bull was the closest encounter he’s had with other animals.

The workers at The Grange and Your Espresso are the main caretakers of McNugget. They feed him poultry feed and cracked corn.

However, many customers from the businesses often feed McNugget various treats.

This rooster is truly a “very friendly little guy,” very calm and he seems to never disturb customers and shoppers, Kreager said. He enjoys shiny things, she added.

“I have rims on my car that are really shiny and he loves to stare at himself,” Mercado said.

“He’s a little legend around here,” Kreager said.

Reach intern Hunter Deiglmeier at isspress@isspress.com.

Other Stories of Interest:

Comments

15 Responses to “Beloved rooster McNugget survives pit bull attack”

1. Rachel on August 27th, 2009 10:53 am

This is the very same rooster who has attacked patrons in wheelchairs, so let’s go easy on the “very friendly little guy” quotes.

2. Rachel on August 27th, 2009 11:01 am

If it was a pit bull and not a rooster attacking folks in wheelchairs I bet your beloved little McNugget would be going home in your child’s Happy Meal right about now.

I’ll take him with a side of sweet and sour sauce, please.

3. Vivian on August 27th, 2009 7:30 pm

Rachel you are right on. “very friendly little guy” came after me while I was walking with my daughter (who is in a wheelchair) and jumped on the back of my legs. No blood and guts but it just took me by surprise.
    My daughter goes to another bus stop so she doesn’t have to encounter Mr. McNugget. I am glad the pit bull didn’t kill him because I’m sure the town of Issaquah would have had a fit and demand the pit bull be put down.

thanks for your comment it was great!

4. Mike on August 28th, 2009 12:54 am

How could this “very friendly” rooster be portrayed this way? A previous article stated that he attacked a woman in a wheelchair continuously and forced her to go to another bus stop. In my opinion this bird needs to be taken off the street. Either the City of Issaquah will step up and take care of this “wild animal” problem it has the correct way (humanely) …or the bird will be taken care of my way (not so nice). I’m sick of this beloved rooster and the ignorant people who think it’s OK for a person to be assaulted and glorify the bird.
    Good point Vivian about the dog being put down. Had it been the “beloved pitbull” that was being fed and attacked the woman in the wheelchair he/she would have been euthanized immediately.

5. Hannah Powell on August 28th, 2009 7:04 pm

What gets me is the crazy headline: “…survives PIT BULL attack”….I mean, seriously…had a Golden Retriever attacked the poor chicken the headline would have read “…survived DOG attack”. Give me a break! Anyways, gotta go….my chicken dinner is burning in the oven, while hundreds of friendly dogs labeled as “pit bulls” are being euthanized in the shelter right this minute….

6. Meow on August 28th, 2009 11:10 pm

I agree with all of the above comments. I can only imagine–if this rooster is attacking people in wheelchairs, who’s to say its next victim isn’t going to be a baby in a stroller–is that when the citizens of Issaquah are going to finally step in and take care of this pest??

I suggest that you call Animal Control asap so we can get rid of this rooster once and for all!

Animal Control (complaints) (206) 296-7387

7. ethan on December 3rd, 2009 11:48 am

okay btw no one cares about this chicken hahahahah get a life

8. ethan on December 3rd, 2009 11:53 am

oh my ga this rooster needs to stop attcking dogs

9. mike hawk on December 3rd, 2009 11:57 am

omg carry some pepper spay for this evil one

10. Mandie Palmer on December 3rd, 2009 11:59 am

that was my pitbul… Its a rooster for gods sake that attacks random people, and interrogated my dog, yes my ‘pitbul’ who is 1/4 pit by the way, attacked your rooster, but only because it was trying to cluck at my dog.

11. AnimalPerson on December 8th, 2009 11:35 pm

You people need to show some compassion. So what he attacks people in wheel chairs?? It doesn’t hurt! Give me a break!!! McNugget is about 2 pounds, if you’re afraid of him, get some balls!!!!!!!!!!

12. Stacey on December 10th, 2009 4:36 pm

So, it seems that this rooster is a problem then? Well, how strange that he was offered a home and a warm chicken house with hens to rooste with, and the “owners” in that community refused to allow him to go to a REAL home instead of continuing to menace people in a parking lot and get attacked by both wild and domestic animals.
    Hmmmm…I wonder what their motivation could be?
    Selfish much?

13. Issaquah Highlands Undressed » Blog Archive » Job Posting: Public Relations Director on December 14th, 2009 10:09 am

[…] Luckily, the rooster was freed from the pit bull’s jaws…. (from the Issaquah Press) […]

14. reader on December 17th, 2009 10:19 am

Hey, online editors/admins: the Highlands PR people are spamming your comments again. Please delete the previous bit of trash, and do consider blocking the clowns that are abusing your system like this.

15. Joe thomas on September 17th, 2010 10:22 pm

You people saying “he attacks people in wheelchairs” . hes not attacking he is just fascinated by the spinning wheels and pecks at them. Hes a beloved animal