Walker ready for the challenge of the Breast Cancer 3 Day

September 8, 2009

By Hunter Deiglmeier

Thousands of individuals will walk in the Breast Cancer 3 Day event in Seattle from Sept. 11-13, enjoying time with friends and family, remembering loved ones who have died and fundraising for a cure.Issaquah resident Cinnamon Ruvolo is one who said she is eager to take on the challenge of the 60-mile trek.

“A good friend of mine, Elizabeth Blencoe, did the event last year and after hearing about her experience, and just the sheer challenge of walking 60 miles, was very intriguing to me,” she said. “I was already an active walker with my dogs, so I thought, ‘Hey, maybe I could do that, too.’”

At first, the 60-mile, three-day walk seems like a test of physical endurance and fitness. However, as Ruvolo discovered, it is much more than that.

“I was definitely originally inspired by pushing myself to do something that seems impossible on the surface,” she said. “But after I went to some introductory meetings and really started understanding what the Susan G. Komen foundation is trying to accomplish by taking out breast cancer, then it really clicked for me.

“Curing breast cancer is what walking 60 miles is for me,” she added “An almost impossible feat, but we know it can be done.”

The Breast Cancer 3 Day event will be held in 15 cities throughout the United States, in which all participants will walk an average of 20 miles per day, and raise funds for critical breast cancer research, education and community health programs. The ultimate goal, however, is to completely erase a disease that affects, and all too often takes, so many lives around the world.

Participants have to raise $2,300 each before the event, with 85 percent of the net proceeds going to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, and the other 15 percent going to the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund. Ruvolo is participating in the walk with her friend Marjan Nadji.

“We have been training together and are very excited to accomplish this task together,” Ruvolo said. “Breast cancer is something that we can eventually find a cure for.”

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest:

Comments

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.