Apply to serve city as a board member or commissioner

January 9, 2010

By Warren Kagarise

NEW — 6 a.m. Jan. 9, 2010

Help shape the way Issaquah develops, advise officials about growth and even increase public art throughout the city.

City leaders seek members for 12 city boards and commissions. Not all applicants must be Issaquah residents. Officials need regular and alternate members. Alternate members serve in the absence of regular members.

Pick up application forms at the City Clerk’s Office on the second floor at City Hall, 130 E. Sunset Way. Find the form here.

Call the City Clerk’s Office at 837-3000 to learn more about the appointment process. The open positions include:

  • Arts Commission — Commissioners work to increase awareness and enjoyment of performing and visual arts. Openings: two regular, one alternate
  • Cable TV Commission — Commissioners regulate and oversee the operation of the cable television system in Issaquah. Openings: one regular, one alternate
  • Cemetery Board — The board advises the city administration about management of the city-owned cemetery. Openings: one regular, one alternate
  • Civil Service Commission — Commissioners administer a Civil Service System for some Issaquah Police Department employees. Openings: one regular
  • Development Commission — Commissioners review site-development and sign permits for large projects. Openings: one regular, two alternates
  • Human Services Commission — Commissioners advise the city administration about human services planning and funding. Openings: two regular, one alternate
  • Library Board — The board serves as a liaison between the city and the King County Library System. Openings: two regular, one alternate
  • Park Board — The board guides municipal parks and recreation planning, maintenance and programs. Openings: three regular, one alternate
  • Planning Policy Commission — Commissioners shape long-term land-use plans and review key growth documents. Openings: two regular, one alternate
  • River & Streams Board — The board works to protect, preserve and enhance water quality in city creeks and waterways. Openings: two regular, one alternate
  • Sister Cities Commission — Commissioners foster relationships with sister cities Chefchaouen, Morocco, and Sunndal, Norway. Openings: two regular, one alternate
  • Urban Village Development Commission — Commissioners oversee large-scale projects in the Issaquah Highlands and Talus urban villages. Openings: three regular, one alternate

Applicants must submit signed and completed applications and city Volunteer Service Agreement forms by 5 p.m. Jan. 22.

City staffers will contact applicants and schedule interviews next month. Mayor Ava Frisinger will review the applications in March.

The mayor will then make the board and commission appointments, and the City Council will confirm the appointees. The council is scheduled to confirm the next round of appointees in April. Board and commission terms begin in May.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , , , , , , , , , , ,


One Response to “Apply to serve city as a board member or commissioner”

  1. Delano Back To Court To Resolve Super Wal-Mart Issue – North … | Kern County CA Real Estate on January 9th, 2010 7:20 am

    […] Apply to serve city as a board member or commissioner : The … […]

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.