Small fire chars inside of downtown business

January 11, 2010

By Chantelle Lusebrink

NEW— 11:06 a.m. Jan. 11, 2010

A small fire charred the inside of El Abuelo, 147 Front St. N., a small Mexican grocery and convenience store, early this morning.

No one was injured.

A passing on-duty Issaquah Police officer was patrolling the area when the officer noticed smoke coming through the door of the building and a small flame through the window, said Josie Williams, a spokeswoman for Eastside Fire & Rescue.

The officer called for backup and then called fire services at 2:48 a.m., she said.

“IPD had officers block off the area,” Williams said. “They did a really good job calling it in really quickly and getting us in there, so there was as little damage as possible.”

Police closed Front Street from Sunset Way to Northeast Dogwood Street.

EFR responded to the scene with three engines, an aid car and an air unit, Williams said.

By the time they arrived at the building, though, there was so little oxygen that the fire had pretty much gone out by itself, she said.

Officials are uncertain of how long the fire had been burning, but the business was pretty charred and there was a lot of smoke damage, she added.

In addition, Troy Salon, 149 Front St. N., also suffered considerable water damage, she said.

The estimated damage to the two stores, nor the cause of the fire, is known yet, she said.

Police reopened Front Street North at about 5:30 a.m., she said — just in time for the morning commute.

Chantelle Lusebrink: 392-6434, ext. 241, or clusebrink@isspress.com. Comment at www.issaquahpress.com.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: ,

Comments

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.