Press Editorial

January 26, 2010

By Staff

School levies deserve your attention, your vote

If your Feb. 9 election ballot is still sitting in a pile of unopened mail, dig it out and mail it in. The No. 1 concern with passing the levies is getting enough voters to care. If you have kids or grandkids in school or soon to be in school, you probably do care. If you don’t, then care anyway — because the kids in the neighborhood today don’t deserve any less of an education just because the economy is in turmoil.

State budget cuts have already got districts scratching for funds to keep classroom sizes from burgeoning out of control and to maintain enhanced educational programs — including athletics, music, arts, advanced placement and others. Administrative cuts have already been made, transportation cuts are done, reserve funds have come into play.

The No. 1 paramount levy, critical to education, is the maintenance and operations levy. If it fails, you can bet the district will try again to gain voter approval — but an election costs money, too.

If the M&O levy still didn’t pass, teachers would be cut. There’s no way around that. The funding of 12 elementary, 17 middle school and 22 high school teachers, and a host of other staff members, are all dependent on passing of the M&O levy. Let’s not go there.

The bus levy will be collected only in 2011 at a rate of $45 on a $500,000 home. It may not seem as critical, but the district would lose out on state funding that offsets the cost of those buses. It makes school buses seem like a bargain.

The third levy, for capital projects, raises some eyebrows. There is no doubt that school buildings and equipment must be maintained, but repairs account for less than 15 percent of the request. The other 85 percent is for technology, including replacement of computers and software. Who can argue the need for replacing computers? These days, it’s a fact of life. The need won’t go away.

The Levy Committee — made up of community members — did its homework and brought a conservative levy package to the table. Vote yes to all three school levy requests. And don’t forget to return your ballot. Heck, why not do it today?

Bookmark and Share

Comments

One Response to “Press Editorial”

  1. Ray on January 30th, 2010 2:05 pm

    I read that the tax rates would not exceed this year’s taxes. But this year we are still being taxed for the capitol improvements levy from the last levy cycle. When that runs out next year won’t we actually be paying much more for the maintenance and operations of our schools. Is this correct? and if so why aren’t we being told about this up front. And what happens when the next capitol improvements levy comes out, won’t we then be paying an even higher price? I feel that the school district and it’s supporters are not totally honest about the cost of these levies.

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.