Eastridge invites community to debut of new campus

March 16, 2010

By David Hayes

The new Eastridge Christian Assembly building’s soaring interior is big enough to house 45-foot tall fireplaces. By Greg Farrar

When the congregation of Eastridge Christian Assembly outgrew its current facility, its leaders decided to go big for their next church.

A ribbon cutting for the new building is March 20 and the community will get its first look at the upgrades designed for its growing needs.

“The new building is almost four times bigger than the current size,” said senior pastor Steve Jamison. “The area for children alone is the size of the current building.”

To welcome the congregation, organizers are rolling out the red carpet. In addition to city and state dignitaries invited to the ribbon cutting ceremony, Eastridge Christian Assembly has invited guest speakers Matthew Barnett, best-selling author of “The Church That Never Sleeps,” and Pastor John K. Jenkins Sr., senior pastor of First Baptist Church of Glenarden in Landover, Md. To cap the festivities off is a performance by Grammy nominated artist Matthew West.

Established in 1964, Eastridge Christian Assembly had been on Issaquah-Pine Lake Road since the 1990s. When the sanctuary’s seating capacity of 400 inside a 17,500 square-foot building could not fully service a congregation of 1,300, it was time to move.

Jamison said the process began in the early 2000s, and a large parcel of land was purchased in 2002. Actually a couple blocks apart, the visual sightline of the two facilities makes it appear the two driveways lead right to one another.

The new facility — at 72,000 square feet and encompassing 20 acres — is now the ideal place for families to build upon their lives, Jamison said.

“A lot of thought went into every piece,” he said.

The new sanctuary seats 1,450 on a tiered design, making it easier for those in the back to see over the heads of those closer to the stage.

Jamison added that the sanctuary’s lateral design also allows more to fit in closer to the stage. In addition, it doubles as a banquet hall where tables can be set with seating for 800 or more. He confirmed the church has already received multiple requests to host future events, but won’t say who just yet.

The new campus has design features throughout to attract its core audience — families. In the entrance is a café/lounge area. Mid building is an indoor play park, Adventure Land, with tree houses for the kids. It flows into the classrooms. Next to that is the community area for youth with its own mini-stage for productions and other community events.

“We’ve put a big emphasis on being family oriented,” Jamison said. “We’re trying to see how we can best serve families in our community, adding benefits and value, both spiritual and practical.”

List of events

Eastridge Christian Assembly new campus dedication

Ribbon cutting and First Service: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. March 20

Matthew West concert, with guest speaker Pastor John K. Jenkins — 6-9 p.m.

www.eastridgetoday.com

Other Stories of Interest: ,

Comments

11 Responses to “Eastridge invites community to debut of new campus”

1. JaySea on March 22nd, 2010 2:38 am

My stomach turns every time I drive by this compound. With no taxation on churches I’m sure it was little hardship for the “leader” to gather up cash from the flock, purchase acres of this wooded land, and have it razed to build this religious Disneyland for those who can’t fathom how to live a good life and love their families without someone reminding them every 7th day … all while collecting a little coin on the side for the “service.” I am ashamed that this was allowed to happen in Issaquah.

2. Zeebra on March 24th, 2010 11:26 am

Churches only get a 5 acre tax exemption on property, so they are not living without the burden of taxes.
    A group of people seem to believe they can bring some encouragment to a community that they live in, good for them.
    We need more groups like them to lighten the load for all of us.
    Eastridge, thanks for being here.

3. Zeebra on March 24th, 2010 11:30 am

Churches only get a five acre exemption on property tax, so they are exempt from the burden of taxes.
    But more power ti them if they want to spend their money on bringing some hope to lighten the load of our community.
    Eastridge, thanks for doing a great job with that nice building. I love the look!

4. Doug on March 24th, 2010 1:23 pm

Wow! What a great asset to the issaquah community! There is a place for everybody… And an enviornment to sit back, make new friends and be encouraged with a new hope! This is the place where real change happens!

5. Dan Metteer on March 24th, 2010 2:50 pm

Great article, and a beautiful building too! I think it is great that this large church building adds to the beauty and character of the community instead of looking like an eyesore.

6. Josh on March 25th, 2010 5:31 pm

I was able to attend Eastridge this weekend and was blown away by the building and the people! I felt comfortable, welcome and received. With Easter just a few days away, I know where I am going to be taking my family, Eastridge! I’m glad that there are places like Eastridge that are making a positive difference in our community-

7. Sally on March 25th, 2010 10:00 pm

We welcome Eastridge to our community. The outpouring of folks attending this weekend’s festivities show how much we are clamouring for hope, healing, forgiveness and a future. Thank you to all the folks at Eastridge who opened their arms to us all.

8. KM on March 26th, 2010 4:27 am

I think the new facility fits well in the landscape of the Northwest. When you compare the church site to the adjoining school site I think you will easily recognize that every effort was made to conserve trees and blend in with nature.

The church was built with great sacrifice to families who believe that reaching out to the community is worth the investment. Eastride has done just that for my family when we went through many life difficulties. It is an amazing place to worship and feel like family.

9. Renee on March 27th, 2010 12:22 pm

I attend Eastridge Church and live in Issaquah. My family loves being a part of a church that is interested in my family and my community. I love that the church fits in by the beautiful architecture, and that we want to be part of bettering our community. I am all for a place that helps families by offering children and youth a safe and fun environment. And for adults…I have made so many new friends in my first year of living in this area. I feel like I belong here.

10. Anthony on March 28th, 2010 9:08 pm

This place is mind-blowing. Huge props to Pastor Steve and the faithful people of EC for leading this project to completion. I can’t wait to see how big of a positive impact this place will make on the plateau and on the entire Eastside. The building is gorgeous and the coffee @ their Jammin’ Cafe is the BEST! You know where I’ll be on Sunday!

11. Michael Kubisky on March 28th, 2010 11:57 pm

It’s not about the building.. it’s a place where the community can come home to… It’s all about God