Authorities release men accused of beating suspected rapist

May 27, 2010

By Warren Kagarise

UPDATED — 11:05 a.m. May 28, 2010

King County authorities released two men suspected in the revenge beating of a suspected rapist from jail Thursday, as the Issaquah Police Department continues to investigate the May 23 incident.

Police said the men beat the suspect — a 31-year-old Kirkland man — with a brick and a rubber mallet after acquaintances said he raped a Bellevue woman at a residence in the 400 block of Northeast Birch Street.

“There has been no decision yet on whether or not charges will be filed,” Dan Donohoe, a spokesman for King County Prosecutor’s Office, said Thursday. “There’s an ongoing investigation.”

Meanwhile, the suspected rapist remained in serious condition — and in a coma for at least part of this week — at the Harborview Medical Center intensive-care unit. Police had been unable to interview the man due to the extent of his injures.

Charges against the rape suspect also remained pending until he recovered enough to be interviewed by investigators.

Police said the incident occurred after a night at a downtown Issaquah bar.

Officers responded to a rape report at a downtown Issaquah residence at about 2 a.m. May 23. Police discovered the Kirkland man, unconscious and bleeding, on the living room floor. The man had suffered a large laceration to the head and facial injuries, court documents state. Eastside Fire & Rescue medics said bones in his face might have been fractured as well. Medics transported him to Harborview for treatment.

Officers arrested the assault suspects — a 31-year-old Bellevue man and a 30-year-old Issaquah man — for the beating. Police said the Bellevue man is the husband of the woman who reported the rape.

The husband admitted to striking the rape suspect in the head with a brick. He told police he then threw the brick outside, court documents state. Officers could not locate the brick.

Police said the Issaquah man struck the rape suspect on the head and legs with a rubber mallet. Officers recovered the broken, bloodstained mallet outside the house, court documents state.

Investigators said a group of people — including the assault suspects, the rape suspect and the woman — had gone out together to Time Out Sports Bar in downtown Issaquah earlier in the evening.

The woman left the bar because she felt ill, police said, and returned to a friend’s house, the Northeast Birch Street residence. Investigators said the Issaquah assault suspect lives at the house.

Later, the rape suspect left the bar and also returned to the residence. Investigators said the woman called her husband some time later and said she had been raped.

The assault suspects then headed to the residence, court documents continue. The men noticed the rape suspect asleep on a couch and, after he awoke, attacked him.

Police did not release information about whether the woman had undergone a medical examination after the reported rape.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , ,


3 Responses to “Authorities release men accused of beating suspected rapist”

  1. Jackson Browne on May 28th, 2010 12:31 am

    I think they should be prosecuted for beating a man near to death. There is no evidence pointing to the fact that he actually raped her. If he did you still should not take the law into your own hands, especially to that degree. They should learn the hard way that it was not right what they did. The police should have been called right away after they heard the news of this supposed rape. Two against one is always better odds so why did they use weapons to beat him?

  2. News Keeps Me Busy on May 28th, 2010 1:04 pm

    I think the two men did the RIGHT thing they were protecting an innocent woman/wife. They would have done it for anyone! And im sure they feel bad enough for doing to someone they know. But the suspect needs to go away for life. He was tresspassing and you can shoot someone for tresspassing but you cant beat them up? sounds pretty ironic to me!

  3. Justice League on May 28th, 2010 5:36 pm

    I applaud Issaquah Press for being more thorough in the reporting than Komo. This story simply doesn’t add up. A guy rapes a girl then decides to take a nap on the couch knowing her husband and the homeowner (his friends) will be back the same night. Then these 2 “courageous” vigilantes take the time to grab a mallet and brick to attack a sleeping man before calling the cops. I’ll bet the press discovers 3 things before this is all over 1) the girl refused a rape kit that night, 2) her story and that of the attackers don’t jive 3) these guys have a history of violence. 4) No rape ever occured.

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.