Landowners can apply for state money to restore fish passages

June 1, 2010

By Staff

The state Department of Natural Resources will accept applications until June 30 for funds to help landowners protect fish habitat.

The effort, the Family Forest Fish Passage Program, grants money for landowners to replace culverts blocking fish in streams crossing the land. The state considered small-forest landowners to be those who harvest less than 2 million board feet per year, on average, from their land.

The program pays from 75 to 100 percent of the cost to remove barriers. Successful applicants must be small-forest landowners with a forest road crossing a fish-bearing stream. Qualifying projects could include removal of log puncheons —upright pieces of timber — or undersized, elevated or collapsed culverts.

Officials rank projects based on the habitat affected, location in the watershed and cost benefit. Landowners enrolled in the program receive funding based on the ranking and as funds become available. The program contracts with local conservation groups to manage the projects.

Learn more about the program at the agency website.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest:


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.