Overnight blaze damages Chinese restaurant

July 9, 2010

By Staff

UPDATED — 4:45 p.m. July 9, 2010

Flames damaged a Chinese restaurant along Northwest Gilman Boulevard early Friday morning.

Eastside Fire & Rescue crews responded to a small fire at Cascade Garden, 1580 N.W. Gilman Blvd., at about 1:15 a.m.

Owner Andy Liu was cleaning up the restaurant the afternoon after the fire. He said he had closed the restaurant at about 10 the previous night.

“I made sure everything was cleaned before I left last night. I didn’t smell anything,” he said. “I got a call at 1:45 in the morning. I showed up and saw the fire trucks.”

When firefighters arrived at the scene, six-foot flames shot from the roof. Initially, 45 firefighters — including EFR crews and Bellevue Fire Department units — responded to the scene, and the Issaquah Police Department conducted traffic control.

Firefighters muscled into the restaurant through a front window and then extinguished the fire. Most of the fire remained contained to the stove and hood system in the kitchen. There was no structural damage to the building.

“It’s not going to be cheap to fix,” Liu said. “Luckily, I have insurance.”

He could not yet estimate the damage.

Liu said he had started calling plumbers, electricians, everyone he could think of to help. He said he did not want the businesses around Cascade Garden to have to close due to the fire.

During the blaze, firefighters called a King County Fire Marshal’s Office investigator and Puget Sound Energy to the scene. PSE shut off utilities for the building.

Liu said he hopes to reopen the restaurant in six to eight weeks.

The restaurant has developed a following of frequent diners since it opened 21 years ago.

“Some regular customers have come in today and are surprised that we’re closed,” Liu said.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , , , , ,

Comments

3 Responses to “Overnight blaze damages Chinese restaurant”

  1. Ed Short on July 9th, 2010 5:30 pm

    The folks at Cascade Garden created a “special soup for Donna” when she was undergoing Chemo treatment for Cancer. A very thoughful staff. One of my favorite restaurants. Andy, I hope you are back in business in short order.

  2. Jenn Penn on July 9th, 2010 11:16 pm

    So sorry to hear about the fire, but glad it wasn’t worse and happy no one was hurt. This is a terrific restaurant with great service and I will anxiously be awaiting its re-opening!

  3. Phil Danenbauer on July 10th, 2010 3:02 pm

    Was there Thursday night, was going back tonight til we found out about the fire. DARN! Great food and staff.

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.