County Council asks for opinions about proposed tax increases

July 11, 2010

By Staff

NEW — 8 a.m. July 11, 2010

King County Council members want residents’ input Monday about proposed sales tax hikes.

The council has received three proposals to raise the sales tax in order to pay for public safety and criminal justice services. King County faces a $60 million shortfall in the budget used to pay for deputies, courts and other services.

The council will hold a public hearing on the proposed tax increases at 1:30 p.m. Monday in the 10th-floor Council Chambers at the King County Courthouse, 516 Third Ave., Seattle. The hearing will be carried live on King County TV, Comcast and Broadstripe Cable channel 22. Or watch the hearing live online.

Under two of the proposals, the county could increase the sales tax by two-tenths of a percent to maintain funding for the King County Sheriff’s Office, prosecutor and courts.

Under state law, the county stands to receive 60 percent of the revenue. Issaquah and the 38 other cities stand to receive the remaining 40 percent, divvied up based on population.

The third proposal aims to raise the sales tax by one-tenth of a percent to pay for a juvenile justice facility to replace the aging Youth Services Center in Seattle.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , , , , ,

Comments

2 Responses to “County Council asks for opinions about proposed tax increases”

  1. Doug on July 12th, 2010 10:41 am

    This is just an illusion to make the people think that they have any say whatsoever when it comes to raising taxes. King County will do whatever they damn well please and it’s makes absolutely no difference to them what the people want.

  2. gonewiththewind on July 16th, 2010 9:39 am

    The Council needs to divert funds from things like parks (why are citizen property taxes going through enhancing trails and buying more land when we can’t even fund resources to keep us safe?) to public safety. Also, the Flood Control District imposed a line item on property taxes with NO public vote. Funding for public safety needs to be a top priority and the Council is not doing their jobs by allowing parks, other districts to add taxes, over spending on the Brightwater sewer project and the list goes on.
    If more funding for public safety doesn’t come through, and you live in King County (unincorporated hit hardest), then forget having anyone available if your home is broken into, fraud, meth or pot growers move in next door to you etc. – there won’t be enough Police, Detectives, Prosecutors, or Jails to find and jail the crooks. Might as well put up some welcome signs for the criminals “Welcome to King County – the Lawless Zone)

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.