Dump leftover Fourth fireworks to avoid headaches

July 13, 2010

By Staff

Fourth of July revelers should dump leftover fireworks, instead of storing the pyrotechnics inside a home or garage.

Fireworks should not be stored until the next fireworks season. Stray sparks could ignite fireworks and lead to disaster. Or the explosives could spontaneously combust.

Learn more about fireworks safety at the Celebrate Safely website.

“All fireworks purchased at a consumer fireworks stand should be discharged during the legal discharge dates,” state Fire Marshal Charles M. Duffy said as Independence Day wrapped.

Safety experts recommend disposing of small amounts of fireworks by removing the fuse, and then soaking the fireworks in water until saturated. The waterlogged fireworks should the

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , ,

Comments

2 Responses to “Dump leftover Fourth fireworks to avoid headaches”

  1. Anthony Lealand on July 14th, 2010 2:13 pm

    Fireworks spontaneously combust? No they do not! They might in urban legend or be the easy thing to blame for an unknown fire. But we have fireworks 30 years old as historic items and they still perform well.

    Advice to remove fuses is dangerous as it is a possible source of combustion due to friction in dragging them out. Very unlikely, but possible.

    A further danger is soaking fireworks which when they dry out are fire dangers due to drying reactions This is s a well established fact and has been observed by our company.

    So what are we going to do with them after wetting them, put them in the dump to leach chemicals over many years?

    Nope put them in a tin box and store them till the next 4th.

    Ask the experts, the fireworks companies for advice on matters like this.

    Anthony Lealand
    Firework Professionals Ltd
    New Zealand

  2. Robert Rowe on July 15th, 2010 8:02 am

    Totally wrong, very bad advice.

    If you have a legal, safe, reasonably cool and dry storage area, they will keep just fine untill the next 4th of July or New Year’s. They passed storage and shipping safety testing before being offered in commerce.

    Open burn in a safe area is the way to dispose of SMALL quantities of consumer fireworks. Soaking them with water just converts them into hazardous waste! What are you going to do with the soggy mixture of chemicals and paper after?!

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.