Prosecutor raises concerns about victim in Leroy Hill assault case
July 23, 2010
UPDATED — 6:45 p.m. July 23, 2010
The prosecutor in the domestic violence case against Seattle Seahawks linebacker Leroy Hill has concerns about contact between the NFL player and the woman involved in the incident.
Hill, 27, appeared in Issaquah Municipal Court on Friday morning as a trail nears for a misdemeanor assault charge stemming from the April incident. The trial has been set for July 29.
Issaquah police said Hill attacked his girlfriend April 10. The woman had told police Hill had pulled her by her hair down a set of stairs at his Talus home.
Hill has pleaded not guilty to the charge.
City Prosecutor Lynn Moberly said repeated attempts to contact the woman had been unsuccessful. Moreover, Moberly said Issaquah police officers noticed the woman’s car in Hill’s driveway.
The prosecutor said the continued contact — despite a court order for Hill and the woman to remain apart — raised “significant concerns.”
In May, Judge N. Scott Stewart kept a no-contact order in place between Hill and the woman, although she had called for the order to be lifted.
During a Wednesday hearing, Moberly said she “put the defense on notice” for the woman’s “failure to respond to me, to the police department, to numerous phone calls to her home, to her mother’s home, to her workplace, visits by the police department to her workplace.” The woman had ignored subpoenas as well.
The city issued a warrant for the woman to appear in court next week as a witness.
The woman’s attorney e-mailed the prosecutor and said she had hoped to avoid the news media attention the case had generated, Moberly said during the Friday hearing.
NFL officials suspended Hill without pay from the Sept. 4 season opener against the San Francisco 49ers for violating the league substance-abuse policy. Hill pleaded guilty to marijuana possession in Georgia less than a month before the Issaquah incident.