Hearing delayed for Lake Sammamish State Park shootings suspect

August 20, 2010

By Warren Kagarise

NEW — 10 a.m. Aug. 20, 2010

The case-setting hearing for the Renton man charged in connection to the deadly Lake Sammamish State Park shootout has been delayed until Sept. 1.

David Keowongphet, 29, has pleaded not guilty to a first-degree unlawful weapons possession charge. He remains in custody at the King County Jail on $500,000 bail.

The suspect had been scheduled to appear in court Wednesday, but a judge postponed the hearing.

Keowongphet told a King County Sheriff’s Office detective he had been at the Issaquah park July 17, but left before the shootings occurred.

The gun battle left his cousin — Kent resident Yang Keovongphet, 33 — and Seattle resident Justin Cunningham, 30, dead. Gunfire injured three other people.

The slain cousin’s widow said she saw Keowongphet firing a gun into the air during a brawl between rival groups picnicking at the lakefront park.

Undercover officers arrested Keowongphet at his Renton residence the next night. Investigators uncovered guns and ammunition at the home. Keowongphet cannot legally possess weapons due to prior felony convictions.

Keowongphet so far remains the only person charged in connection to the shootings.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , ,

Comments

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.