Deadline approaches for retroactive veteran benefits

October 5, 2010

By Staff

Certain members of the armed forces qualify for retroactive payments, but the deadline to receive the benefits is approaching.

U.S. Department of Defense officials said military members who had their service involuntarily extended, or who had their retirement suspended, between Sept. 11, 2001, and Sept. 30, 2009, due to stop loss can receive retroactive payments of $500 for each month their service was extended.

The deadline to apply for the benefits is Oct. 21.

Eligible members should print, complete and sign a Department of Defense Form 2944, Claim for Retroactive Stop Loss Payment. They must then select the appropriate method for submitting their claim form based upon their service requirements.

The information can be found on their service’s stop loss website. The sites can be accessed here. Or call 877-736-5554 for the Army, 901-874-4427 for the Navy, 877-242-2830 for the Marine Corps or 800-525-0102 for the Air Force.

The government has paid about 58,000 of the 145,000 eligible claims, leaving more than $300 million available to eligible veterans. The average payout for each veteran is close to $4,000.

Bookmark and Share


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.