2011 municipal budget clears City Council hurdle

December 8, 2010

By Warren Kagarise

NEW — 8 a.m. Dec. 8, 2010

The trim 2011 city budget inched closer from plan to reality Monday night.

City Council members offered another round of comments about the spending plan, and then — in a unanimous decision — directed city staffers to prepare the formal budget ordinance for adoption. The council is scheduled to adopt the budget Dec. 20.

Discussion centered on the general fund — the $30.4 million budget piece used to fund police and fire services, community development and planning, parks and recreation, and municipal government.

“It’s a $30 million budget for the city of Issaquah, and I think people assume there’s a lot of money flying around,” Councilman Mark Mullet said. “When you’re actually in the meetings, it’s very impressive how everything does get analyzed down to that last decimal point.”

The spending plan calls for free rides on Route 200 buses to end in 2011. The document also emphasizes short-term street upgrades, such as repairs to potholes.

In a letter sent to Mayor Ava Frisinger before the Monday meeting, the council called for funds to be transferred from long-term road projects to pay for $530,000 in short-term street upgrades.

Councilman Tola Marts said the planned road upgrades amounted to a wise investment.

“We’re in tough times, but these are critical pieces of infrastructure and the city will be stronger as a result of the process,” he said at the meeting.

The focus on street-related transportation spending irked citizen activist Connie Marsh, the only person to address council members during the public hearing before the decision.

“This last year, it seems like I spent an inordinate amount of time at meetings where everybody is saying, ‘We are going to be a walkable community. Everybody’s going to take transit. The bicyclists are going to be amazing, and we’re going to get rid of these darn cars,’” she said. “This goes from the Central Issaquah Plan to the Rowley meetings. It’s all about making other ways for people to travel.”

The city is the midst of a long-term effort to outline redevelopment in Central Issaquah and on about 90 Rowley Properties-owned acres. Both plans emphasize mass transit and pedestrian-friendly features.

“Then, I go to the budget meetings, and I find instead that we aren’t figuring out a way to actually do our Complete Streets so that we have sidewalks and ways to ride our bikes, because we’re never spending that money,” Marsh said. “So, let’s just remove that and let’s pave the streets and make sure they’re in good condition. I don’t understand how we’re making short-term decisions not to make it easy to walk and ride your bike, how we are ever going to get to our long-term of having a walking and biking and multimodal community.”

Complete Streets is a plan to include pedestrian and bicycle connectors alongside roads.

“I think there were a lot of good things in the budget. There were a few things I didn’t necessarily agree with,” Councilman Joshua Schaer said. “Ultimately, it’s a consensus document. We do spend a lot of long fall-into-winter nights trying to hash through it page by page and come up with the best possible budget for the next fiscal year.”

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

One Response to “2011 municipal budget clears City Council hurdle”

  1. Matt on December 8th, 2010 9:52 am

    The reporter correctly noted that Connie Marsh was the only one to speak at the public hearing, however Marsh wasn’t the only one to provide public comments for that hearing. The city clerk announced at the beginning of the hearing that another person (yours truly, the author of this comment) had provided email comments. Those are just as valid for public hearing purposes as spoken comments.

    The reporter should have gone to the trouble of reviewing that ONE additional public comment, as well. It wasn’t that long. Here it is in its entirety:

    “Please stop wasting my money on useless cedar poles. For details, see http://www.issaquahpress.com/2010/11/23/to-the-editor-97/.”

    Short and sweet. I’m happy to report that another resident has fully agreed. See his comments (in the form of a letter to the editor) at http://www.issaquahpress.com/2010/12/07/to-the-editor-99/#more-38566.

    Every comment or letter represents many other people. So the question is: Will the Council ignore the requests that it spend our limited money only on core services, especially in this recession, or will it continue wasting our money on logs and other alleged “art”?

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.