Firefighters: Generator caused blaze at Issaquah home

March 4, 2011

By Warren Kagarise

Flames roared through a South Cove home after a generator caught fire in the garage Thursday. Contributed

NEW — 10 a.m. March 4, 2011

Firefighters treated a South Cove resident for a minor injury Thursday evening after fire roared through a garage.

Residents in the neighborhood near Timberlake Park reported explosions and black smoke billowing into the air.

The blaze started at about 5:50 p.m. inside a garage in the 18200 block of Southeast 43rd Court, a neighborhood along Lake Sammamish’s southern shore.

Eastside Fire & Rescue firefighters raced to extinguish the garage fire. The blaze had reached the nearby house and threatened another home. Units from neighboring Bellevue assisted the EFR team.

Investigators said the blaze started after a portable generator inside the garage caught fire. The homeowner said he started the generator due to a power outage in the neighborhood.

The homeowner and a family member in the house at the time the fire started escaped the structure. Firefighters treated a resident at the scene, and the patient later sought further care at a medical facility in Issaquah.

The damage to the home is estimated at $350,000.

EFR officials used the incident as a reminder to residents not to use powered equipment, and similar devices using gasoline, flammable liquid or open flame, inside a home. In addition to the fire risk, the equipment can give off dangerous fumes or carbon monoxide.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , ,

Comments

One Response to “Firefighters: Generator caused blaze at Issaquah home”

  1. Will Ginthner on March 4th, 2011 9:58 pm

    We are all here for you I’m terribly sorry love from the soccer team

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.