Issaquah Eagles battle Skyline Spartans to 1-1 draw

March 29, 2011

By Staff

Zach Lawless, Issaquah High School sophomore midfielder (left), gets an elbow on the neck of Woodinville junior defender Nick Norton during the first period of their March 24 soccer match. By Greg Farrar

When the Issaquah and Skyline boys high school soccer teams get together, it is usually a battle down to the final second.

On March 26, the two Issaquah district teams had another spirited battle that ended in a 1-1 draw in Gary Moore Stadium.

Both goals were scored in the first half. Skyline took a 1-0 lead on an unassisted goal by Travis Strawn at the 23rd minute. Zach Lawless, assisted by Michael Roberts, tied the score for Issaquah at the 38th minute.

The tie left both teams with a 1-0-1 record in the first week of 4A KingCo Conference play. Issaquah is 4-0-3 on the season and Skyline is 4-0-2.

Issaquah scored two late second-half goals March 24 to win its opener 2-0 against visiting Woodinville.

Nick Smith, of Issaquah, scored the game’s first goal at the 72nd minute. Alex Shane added insurance two minutes later with his sixth goal of the season.

Skyline, meanwhile, nipped Newport 3-2. Jake Bechtel’s unassisted goal at the 77th minute proved to be the game-winner for Skyline. Braxton Griffin and Kaleb Strawn scored Skyline’s other goals. The Spartans handed Newport its first loss of the season.

Both teams played nonleague games March 21. Skyline defeated visiting Auburn Mountainview, 5-1.

James Molyneux-Elliott scored two goals for Skyline. Pedro Miola contributed a goal and an assist for the Spartans.

Issaquah and Highline fought to a 1-1 tie in Highline Stadium. Shane, assisted by Drew Tacher, scored Issaquah’s goal at the 68th minute. Shane’s goal also tied the game.

Liberty soccer rolls to win

The Liberty High School boys soccer team exploded for three second-half goals March 22 as the Patriots defeated visiting Mount Si, 3-1, in a 3A/2A KingCo Conference game.

After a scoreless first half, Liberty’s Danny Dapper tallied the game’s first goal on a penalty kick at the 49th minute. Mount Si’s Dane Aldrich tied the scored at the 56th minute.

Josh Muttart, assisted by Dapper, broke the tie at the 62nd minute. Alex Velasquez, assisted by Oliver Janders, wrapped up scoring for Liberty with a goal at the 75th minute.

Liberty lost to Bellevue, 2-0, March 25.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , ,


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.