Blaze destroys barn near Issaquah

April 19, 2011

By Warren Kagarise

Flames destroyed a barn in a community six miles south of downtown Issaquah early April 14, but a pair of chickens roosting inside at the time escaped unharmed.

Firefighters battle a barn blaze in the Four Lakes community near Issaquah early April 14. By Debbie Berto

Firefighters extinguished the flames, although the structure collapsed in the blaze. The incident occurred just before dawn in the 24000 block of Southeast 167th Street in the Four Lakes community, off Cedar Grove Road Southeast.

Neighbors called 911 after seeing 30-foot flames leaping from the wooden structure just after 5 a.m.

Units from Eastside Fire & Rescue and Maple Valley Fire & Life Safety responded to the fire as news helicopters thudded overhead.

No injuries occurred as a result of the fire. The chickens — a hen and a rooster — escaped from a coop inside the burning structure.

“We opened the door, but they didn’t want to run out,” EFR Capt. Michael Geppert said. “We had to carry one out and shoo the other out while he was squawking at us.”

Investigators later determined a heat lamp in the chicken coop sparked the blaze.

The fire claimed a 1950s Chevrolet pickup parked inside the barn. The booming sounds neighbors reported hearing amid the blaze probably resulted from the truck’s tires exploding, Geppert said.

“That will make quite a boom when those explode,” he added.

Geppert said property owners Shane and Barbara Olson had insurance on the barn.

The owners said they slept through the blaze, and then awoke to find EFR vehicles on site and the fire almost extinguished.

Warren Kagarise: 392-6434, ext. 234, or Comment at

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , ,


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.