Investigators seize 100 dogs in Issaquah, Burien ‘animal hoarding’ case

October 7, 2011

By Staff

NEW — 1:20 p.m., Oct. 7, 2011

King County Sheriff’s Office detectives are investigating an “animal hoarding” case where  the Regional Animal Services of King County have removed 100 dogs from two Burien and Issaquah homes.

No arrests in the incident have been made, but felony and/or misdemeanor charges could be forthcoming in the case.

Detectives and animal control officers raided a Burien house at about 6:15 p.m. Thursday in the 1300 block of Southwest 120th Street where 38 Chihuahua, Pomeranian and Japanese Chin dogs were found in the residence.

All of the animals were in relatively poor health and kept in extremely dirty dog crates, according to a sheriff’s office news release.

Fourteen dogs were immediately taken to a veterinarian’s office and nine were euthanized.

A man at the residence said the majority of the dogs were his and claimed some were show dogs.

A search warrant was served at a residence 5900 block of 189th Avenue Southeast in Issaquah, where another 62 dogs were found to be in relatively good health and in clean crates.

Due to the condition of the house, the dogs were taken by Regional Animal Services of King County.

The investigation into the Burien residence began after the sheriff’s office was contacted by Pasado’s Safe Haven.

Burien and sheriff’s office detectives were assisted by Burien’s Community Animal Resource and Education Society, as well as Regional Animal Services of King County, which sent six officers and a vet technician to assist at the Issaquah location.

“This was a very quick and coordinated effort by all involved,” Burien Police Chief Scott Kimerer said. “My thanks to Burien’s CARES staff, the sheriff’s office, and King County’s animal care and control personnel. Everyone worked well into the night on this investigation.”

Debra George, director of CARES, said the dogs are receiving proper care and will need homes.

“Our first concern is the health and well-being of the dogs, so all of them are being checked out and treated at local veterinary offices,” she said.

The sheriff’s office investigation into both locations is continuing.

Other Stories of Interest: ,

Comments

6 Responses to “Investigators seize 100 dogs in Issaquah, Burien ‘animal hoarding’ case”

1. Trish K on October 7th, 2011 7:01 pm

I want to adopt one of the female chihuahuas – my heart broke when I saw the story on Friday, 10/7/11. I have had two wonderful chis (RIP) and want another very badly. I am a senior (62) female and live alone in Auburn, WA. The only thing missing in my life right now is another chihuahua to love and spoil. I could show one of these adorable, lovable dogs an abundance of love, care, and joy. How do I go about getting one of these wonderful dogs.

2. Doug on October 7th, 2011 11:39 pm

These dogs are awesome. I had the priviledge of helping the officers clean and check them in. They are going to need alot of care. Almost all of them have some health conditions.
    This story should be a warning. These people did not do this intentionally, they merely thought they were helping these animals. Unfortunately they lost control and couldn’t see how they were actually harming them. The shelter is going to need alot of help. Bedding, foster parents, and even cash donations to help with health care. If you can help please contact RASKC.

3. Carol Long on October 8th, 2011 8:52 am

I rescued a long haired chihuahua mix 3 year s ago and I have been wanting a companion for Rosie. I am interested in adopting another dog. What a sad story all the way around.

4. RASKC on October 8th, 2011 5:11 pm

Right now, we’re working to get all of the dogs cleaned up, groomed, and checked by a vet. Once we’re sure they’re healthy and ready for their forever homes, we expect to release them for adoption in a couple of weeks. Keep watching our website, http://www.kingcounty.gov/pets, for details.

5. Pat Rhude on October 8th, 2011 7:08 pm

The news broadcast last night broke my heart. Please consider me as a person that would adopt and love one of thoes wonderful babies as I would give it all the love and care the dog would need. I live on Whidbey Island and moved up here 8 years ago with my husband and I and 12 pomeraniems, rescue dogs. I could’nt look any of them in the eye and say we are moving and you can’t go. We bought a house with ackerage and the house is large. I have rescued a Pom from a puppy mill before and all the dog’s teeth were all broken, that pup gave me the most love I can ever remember receiving and I know I have the patience to give to a pup that requires it. It took me 8 months to house break her but every moment we spent together was a labor of love. I had her 1 1/2 years and the end of her life was coming near and she waited til I got up one morning so I could hold her and she died in my arms.

6. Zana Parent on October 10th, 2011 7:18 am

I feel for these little babies!
    I have 2 wonderful chihuahua’s, one is 12 and one is 5. If i had the room I would adopt another. I might be interested in fostering if you need help. I do work daily, but this has not affected my little one. They still get thier walks and play time each morning and evening:)