Metro Transit reminds riders to prepare for holiday schedules
November 8, 2011
King County Metro Transit bus riders should prepare for reduced service in upcoming weeks, starting Nov. 11, Veterans Day.
The transit agency operates on a reduced weekday schedule on several holidays through January — including a full week of reduced service at the end of December.
The planned reductions arrive during a slow period, because Metro Transit usually serves 20 percent to 40 percent fewer weekday riders. The mass transit agency uses a Sunday schedule for several of the upcoming holidays.
The reduced weekday schedule and regular fares take effect for:
What to know
Call the King County Metro Transit Customer Information Office at 206-553-3000 or go to Metro Online, http://metro.kingcounty.gov, to learn more about holiday schedule changes.
- Friday, Nov. 11 — Veterans Day
- Friday, Nov. 25 — the day after Thanksgiving
- Tuesday through Friday, Dec. 27-30 — winter holiday period
- Monday, Jan. 16 — Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Expect Sunday schedules and fares on the following holidays:
- Thursday, Nov. 24 — Thanksgiving
- Sunday, Dec. 25 — Christmas
- Monday, Dec. 26 — Christmas, observed
- Sunday, Jan. 1 — New Year’s Day
- Monday, Jan. 2 — New Year’s Day, observed
For reduced weekday schedules, some commuter and school-oriented routes do not operate, and Metro Transit cancels some trips on other routes.
The reduced weekday schedule features more bus service than on weekends, but less service than on regular weekdays. Officials estimate the limited schedule saves Metro Transit about $1 million per year.