Eagles girls basketball team falls in overtime, 73-67

December 20, 2011

By Christopher Huber

Quincey Gibson (10), Issaquah High School sophomore point guard, looks from the floor for an open teammate as Eastlake High School senior guard Abby Carlson defends during the fourth quarter Dec. 16 at Eastlake High School. By Christopher Huber

With less than a minute to go and her team down by two, Eastlake High School junior guard Caleigh McCabe knew she had to do something. She hit the “reset” button in her head, focused and executed when it mattered most.

She hit a game-tying lay-up with 30 seconds remaining against the visiting Issaquah Eagles, which ultimately sent the game into overtime.

“I tried to block it out — make it like it was zero-zero,” said McCabe, who finished the game with 13 points.

That shot proved to be the second chance the Wolves needed Dec. 16 as they ultimately beat Issaquah, 73-67, in overtime. McCabe hit a go-ahead 3-pointer that gave the Wolves the momentum to finish the job.

Eastlake improved to 4-0 in KingCo Conference 4A play and went to 4-2 for the season. The Wolves snapped a three-game winning streak for Issaquah. The Eagles dropped to 1-2 in KingCo and 5-3 overall.

Issaquah overcame a first-quarter deficit after the Wolves got out to a quick 15-6 lead. The Eagles led 31-28 at halftime and increased their lead to 48-42 after an especially strong and balanced third quarter. Eastlake missed its fair share of short shots, while the Eagles pressured hard all the way down the court.

“I thought we had the momentum,” Issaquah coach Kathy Gibson said. “Most of the time we had good ball pressure.”

McCabe said the key to beating Crest Division rival Issaquah was executing on offense and a desire to win. At times, the Wolves had a tough time executing, as the Eagles controlled the tempo and scored more consistently throughout. And despite a six-point deficit starting the fourth quarter, Eastlake proved it could finish well. It scored 18 points in the fourth and outscored Issaquah 13-7 in overtime.

“We wanted it more. We just needed to show it,” McCabe said.

Eastlake finished the night with six 3-pointers. As a team, it made 22 of 36 free throw attempts, a statistic Gibson acknowledged was a huge factor in Eastlake tying it up and then pulling away in overtime. Eastlake was eight-for-16 from the line through three quarters.

In addition to McCabe, three of her teammates scored in double digits, too. Abby Carlson and Kendra Morrison, both seniors, had 11 points and senior forward Lauren Files scored 10.

Issaquah sophomore guard Mackenzie Wieburg led all scorers with 19 points and was a force on both sides of the ball. She scored six of the Eagles’ seven overtime points.

“She has just been getting better and better every game,” Gibson said.

Mandie Hill, Issaquah’s sophomore point guard, finished with 12 points. Aimee Brakken, a junior guard, scored nine points for the Eagles. Taryn Holmes and Monica Landdeck each contributed eight points for Issaquah.

Issaquah gets third straight win

Issaquah High School stormed back in the second half Dec. 12 to defeat visiting Edmonds-Woodway, 59-47, in a nonleague contest.

The victory was the third straight for Issaquah.

Issaquah trailed by one point at halftime but outscored Edmonds-Woodway, 19-11, in the third quarter to take command of the contest.

Wieburg led all players with 16 points. Landdeck and Brakken scored 14 and 10 points, respectively.

Christopher Huber: 392-6434, ext. 242, or chuber@isspress.com. Comment at www.issaquahpress.com.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: ,


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.