Car hits girl on Issaquah Highlands crosswalk

December 24, 2011

NEW — 10:30 a.m. Dec. 24, 2011

Issaquah police and medics responded to the Issaquah Highlands early Friday evening after a car struck a 14-year-old girl in a crosswalk.

Medics transported the girl to Harborview Medical Center, but she did not sustain life-threatening injuries.

The incident occurred at about 6 p.m. in the crosswalk at Northeast Park Drive and 24th Avenue Northeast near Zeeks Pizza as the vehicle headed west.

Police said the motorist involved in the incident remained at the scene until officers arrived.

The investigation into the accident is ongoing.

Other Stories of Interest: , , ,

Comments

12 Responses to “Car hits girl on Issaquah Highlands crosswalk”

1. John on December 25th, 2011 12:13 am

Not surprised, and shocked it doesn’t happen more often in the highlands. There appears to be a large proportion of drivers living up the hill that either don’t know the traffic laws or are too concerned with their lives to slow the F down and pay attention. I stopped crossing the road with my dog because too many close calls. I’ve even emailed the Issaquah Police before and noticed no extra enforcement. Wait, well the state patrol sits out giving speeding tickets to people in the school zone while there is no kids around.. WOOO HOOO

2. mike kallas on December 25th, 2011 5:41 am

People need to PAY ATTENTION!

3. Shawn on December 25th, 2011 10:39 am

Drivers should pay more attention. However, pedestrians should do the same. Common sense seems to have been lost some where. Human bodies and 4,000lb vehicles are not good bed fellows! I’m a very careful driver and yet, I almost hit someone who stepped into a crosswalk without noticing that I was approaching and didn’t have room to stop for them. Not because I was speeding, rather I was already about to drive thru the crosswalk. The pedestrian was busy talking on their phone, didn’t stop to look before entering the crosswalk. Just because you enter a crosswalk, law or not, doesn’t mean that you given a driver time to stop. All I’m saying is that it is everyone’s responsibility to look before walking into traffic.

4. Mike on December 25th, 2011 11:08 am

First, I hope this young lady is ok.

That said, I totally agree that drivers in the Highlands need to slow down and pay attention, but pedestrians need to bear some responsibility, too. I can’t tell you how many times people here have stepped into the street in front of me (crosswalk be damned) without ever looking to see if a car was coming… for that matter, other drivers do it too!.

I’ve taught my children to make eye contact with the driver and ensure the car is stopped before they step into the street…. how difficult is that? Sure, the law says the car is supposed to stop, but physics always has the first say in the matter.

5. Stacey Driver on December 25th, 2011 11:33 am

The police will not do much until someone is hit, I had called before regarding almost being hit at Barnes and Nobles five times in a year. They said it was private property out of their jurisdiction. However If I shot out the drivers tires that are driving too fast they would be there in a heart beat to arrest me.
    Or if I was run over then they would show up. Thanks a lot Issaquah Police Dept.

6. allan smith on December 25th, 2011 4:08 pm

Issaquah is a small town that has not grown up. It has no side walks. Often the choice is walk in the ditch or in the road way. Although most Issaquah drivers understand the problem and drive with caution, the City is the real culpret in an accident like this. What’s a cross walk when there are no sidewalks. The girls parents should sue both the irresponsible driver and the City. If the Police are anything like those in Seattle the girl might have been shot by a Cop as hit by the careless driver.

7. Anonymous on December 25th, 2011 10:30 pm

Some of the problem is just the design of our crosswalks. We have crosswalks of the same design as when I was a kid – just a couple stripes. That is part of the problem. Busy or more dangerous crosswalks should have flashing lights in the street warning drivers of a pedestrian’s intent or flags or something more than just a couple of faded white stripes. I have suggested as much to the city and even talked to staff in the transportation department about this idea. I don’t get the feeling they are going to change anything of substance, just how they communicate to citizens. Call me cynical, but I bet even this accident will be chalked up to human error. If you ever go the Seattle’s Children’s Hospital, they have many of the built in flashing lights built into the cross walks. I have seen others that automatically flash when a pedestrian enters the cross walk. It is not all about policing, nor just slowing down, or looking more. Modern design and technology can help a lot to keep everyone safer.

8. Jamie Fenderson on December 25th, 2011 11:44 pm

II lived up there for a while and can say it is a bit perilous. I think a button that turns on flashing yellow lights when a pedestrian is crossing will go a long way, or even those orange flags to carry like the ones on Front Street.

9. Justin on December 27th, 2011 10:50 pm

The REAL problem is the pedestrians.

Trusting that someone else (the drivers) will follow the law is STUPID.

ALWAYS look both ways before crossing. Otherwise risk suffering from the consequences.

Common Sense.

10. JD on December 28th, 2011 12:31 am

I live a few blocks from where this happened and was there a few minutes after they took the girl away. IMO, there needs to be a stop sign at this intersection; it’s always busy and I’m pretty sure this would not have happened if there was a stop sign here. This is by far the busiest area at the top of the hill…

11. Justin on December 28th, 2011 8:21 pm

@jd

Wrong.

I live close to where this happened. In fact I know exact location.

Nothing should encourage pedestrians to blindly cross the street. With your rational pedestrians are more important than motorists. Last time I checked you don’t need a state issued permit to cross the street.

12. lynne trowern on January 1st, 2012 8:41 pm

we were walking our dogs and came upon this accident soon after it happened…the girls boot in the middle of the road, the blood n all….quite shocking. we saw a woman sitting on the side of the road, i guess it was her who hit the girl and was in shock.
    we walk our dogs each evening after dark in the highlands, its a difficult one.
    firstly some drivers go too fast, and some are just ignorant about stop signs, pedestrian crossing rules, and any rules of the road come to that! for this reason, we as pedestrians really have to take the view that cars will not stop for us on pedestrain crossings, 4 way stops, etc…and we shouldnt assume they will just because we are there. we as pedestrians should wait till its obvious the car will stop to let us cross, night time or day time.
    another huge problem is the highlands itself (park drive)…..the layout is just accidents waiting to happen. all the cars parked either side of all the crossings, make blind spots….drivers cant see anyone on the crossings till they are driving over them. so many times drivers have waved to say ‘sorry’ coz they didnt see us waiting to cross…if we had just walked out, we would be in the hospital too.
    another problem is the lighting,some of those crossings are so dark at night….drivers cant always see people crossing them, or trying to.
    it really would be nice to have those flashing lights, like you see in klahanie neighborhood…. but that would cost a lot of $, and i am sure many more accidents to come before that would happen!
    all i can say is that after this accident, we for sure are not walking onto any pedestrian crossing at all, until the cars on both sides stop. lifes too short as it is!
    also, if i could point out those jogging mums that meet each week and put their kids lives at risk each time they literally ‘run’ out onto the crossings as part of their training….think about what youre doing mums! pushing strollers onto sidewalks without stopping to check for cars!!! not good….hope we dont see you in the news next! geesh