King County executive orders inquest into Issaquah police shooting

December 27, 2011

By Warren Kagarise

NEW — 11:10 a.m. Dec. 27, 2011

King County Executive Dow Constantine on Tuesday ordered a prosecutor-led inquest into the lethal shootout at Clark Elementary School — a standard procedure in officer-involved shootings.

Ronald Ficker

The action came a little more than three months after Ronald W. Ficker, 51, trekked across downtown Issaquah, brandishing rifles at passers-by. The bizarre episode ended on the elementary school campus as police officers and Ficker exchanged gunfire.

In the days before the Sept. 24 incident, Ficker told others, “Something big is going to happen.” Then, the day before the shootout, he rented a Kia sedan at a Seattle rental car counter, drove more than 450 miles and, just after 11 a.m. Sept. 24, abandoned the car at a downtown Issaquah intersection and set off to Clark Elementary.

Calls from 911 flooded city and county dispatchers, as law enforcement officers from around the region raced to the school.

Issaquah officers encountered Ficker on campus. The gunman fired at least 11 shots at police. Officers returned fire and shot Ficker at a distance greater than the length of a football field.

Meanwhile, on the nearby Issaquah High School campus nearby, coaches, parents and young athletes huddled beneath metal bleachers during the shootout.

Though the incident ended less than 60 minutes after Ficker abandoned the Kia sedan downtown, the subsequent investigation caused Issaquah to grind to a near-standstill for hours, as police collected evidence from the car and the shooting scene on the Clark Elementary campus.

In the days after the shootout, Issaquah Police Chief Paul Ayers put the officers involved in the shooting on paid administrative leave, per standard procedure. The officers returned to duty in the weeks after the incident.

(Ficker lived in unincorporated Maple Valley just south of Issaquah.)

Constantine’s order directs King County District Court Presiding Judge Barbara Linde to assign a judge to set a date and conduct the inquest.

King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg recommended the investigation after the Prosecutor’s Office reviewed materials from the King County Sheriff’s Office — the lead investigator in the case, because the incident involved Issaquah police officers.

The inquest is a fact-finding hearing conducted before a six-member jury. Such a panel is called to determine the circumstances in officer-involved shootings in King County.

Inquest jurors answer a series of questions to determine the factual issues involved in the case, but the jury does not determine whether a person or agency is civilly or criminally liable for the incident.

Officials said inquests provide transparency into law enforcement actions for the public.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , , , , , , ,


One Response to “King County executive orders inquest into Issaquah police shooting”

  1. Russ Garner on December 27th, 2011 4:51 pm

    The outcome could have been profoundly different had the gunman decided to start firing onto the football field where parents and athletes were competing that day. It is impossible to say what Ficker’s motives may have been. One thing is clear – without the prompt response from law enforcement it could have been a tragic day indeed. Our deepest thanks and appreciation go out to our law enforcement community for putting it on the line each and every day to keep us all safe.

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.