Issaquah High School student experiences strong allergic reaction to kiwi at school
January 17, 2012
By Tom Corrigan
A school official said the Issaquah School District is following the rules in the aftermath of an incident in which a student had a strong reaction to kiwi in the Issaquah High School cafeteria.
“I can confirm an incident did happen this week,” said Sara Niegowski, district executive director of communications.
According to Niegowski, the student called her parents and a family member eventually administered an Epinephrine pen to the girl. Niegowski declined to give any details on the girl’s present condition and would not say whether or not she had returned to school Jan. 13.
Niegowski did not release the name of the student, but that name has been reported as Rhiannon Jensen, 17.
The family could not be reached for comment.
Niegowski said district officials were aware of the student’s allergy and that a health plan was put in place for her during the 2010-2011 school year. If that plan is not working as it should, Niegowski said adjustments could be made.
“From a human standpoint, everyone in the district wants to do everything they can to make sure that the student is safe and secure,” Niegowski said.
The issue may fall under the purview of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Niegowski added. The federal rules mandate every school-aged person has the right to a free public education. If there is some impediment to that education, reasonable steps must be taken to remove that impediment. Niegowski stopped short of saying that means the school district will ban kiwi from its menus. But she did say officials are studying what their next move should be.
“In the interim, no kiwi will be served at the school,” Niegowski said.
Tom Corrigan: 392-6434, ext. 241, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Comment at www.issaquahpress.com.