Trader Joe’s to occupy former Issaquah Commons party store

June 5, 2012

By Staff

The longtime party store in the Issaquah Commons along Northwest Gilman Boulevard moved the celebration elsewhere last week to make way for Trader Joe’s.

Party @ Display & Costume settled in a space next to Best Buy in the same shopping center as Fred Meyer and The Home Depot along East Lake Sammamish Parkway Southeast. The relocated party store opened to customers May 31.

The 60-year-old company also operates stores in Everett and Seattle.

Party @ Display & Costume left a space at the Issaquah Commons near Lane Bryant and Ross Dress for Less to make room for a relocated Trader Joe’s.

The specialty grocer’s existing location in Pickering Place does not meet the 10,000-square-foot threshold for retailers to sell liquor, but the former party store space in the Issaquah Commons offers enough space.

Trader Joe’s is expected to relocate within the next several months.

Other Stories of Interest: , , , , , ,

Comments

11 Responses to “Trader Joe’s to occupy former Issaquah Commons party store”

1. DL Novak on June 10th, 2012 3:44 pm

I’m sure I’m not the first to predict the obvious traffic flow problems for this new
    Trader Joe’s location – you think that intersection is bad now? … just wait!

2. cons on July 14th, 2012 6:04 pm

Yep, I really hate to see Trader Joe’s leave Pickering place.
    What a stupid regulation that is for 10,000 sq ft to sell liquor. Ridiculous.
    Trader joe’s would of been smart just to stick with beer and wine at the current location.

Like the previous commenter said, the traffic is going to be hhhhorible there.
    It will surely lose business because of that. I will not go out of my way to go near Gillman during rush hour and even more so to that horrible intersection. I’ll still shop at TJ but much less often because of the new horrid location.

3. Mary Derrick on July 14th, 2012 7:41 pm

I love the present location of Trader Joe’s in Issaquah right now.

My routine: I stop at PCC, get what Trader Joe’s does not have, then over to the present Trader Joe’s location to fill up my cart with your organics. I very much like that I always find plenty of parking.

Parking is a great necessity and I hope the parking won’t be like it is in Redmond. So hard to get in and out, not enough parking spaces, and tight fits.

I do hope you are really looking at the parking situation for your customers…and I thank you for doing so. I love shopping at Trader Joe’s and want to keep doing so…I wish you wellness and success and thank you many times over for what you offer me in products. Many blessings.

4. Tom Chism on August 10th, 2012 5:50 pm

I travel 130 miles each way to go to this store once a month. I always go to Trader Joe’s first, then go to PCC for whatever I couldn’t find at TJ’s. The current location is so easy to get to off the highway, after coming over snoqualmie pass. On the other hand, the TJ’s in California sells some awesome tequila, I’m hoping the new store will carry it too!

5. Tlc on August 17th, 2012 3:58 pm

Yes, I won’t be shopping there as much. That intersection is the worst in Issaquah and they don’t have a reputation for good traffic engineering anyway. There is already nowhere to park by Ross and those other stores. They better put a light in or they are not going to have as much business either – it’s already scary. To bad, so sad!

6. Azi on September 6th, 2012 11:52 am

The city really needs to either put a 4-way stop or a roundabout there. That intersection is NOT friendly to those who need to turn left from Target or from Ross.

7. Janel on September 6th, 2012 9:55 pm

I am looking forward to the change, I can’t wait for them to open. Traffic sucks all over issaquah. Good for trader joes!

8. Debbie on September 12th, 2012 11:22 am

When I first saw the sign announcing the new location I almost cried. I LOVE Trader Joes but NO WAY am I going to endure the horrible traffic at that intersection which is infuriating. (and would vote YES on a roundabout!) I was pretty sure they wouldn’t have two locations so close to each other but was that really the only option? With Wild Fin there now, too, that parking lot is nuts! I have a friend who lives closest to the Redmond Trader Joe’s and she won’t shop there because of the inconvenient access and limited parking. This is going to be the same scenario.

9. Jill on October 8th, 2012 2:43 pm

This move is a nightmare!!! I was hoping it would be a second store, but was surprised as they would be so close together. Clearly it is not a second store. I hardly ever went to the party store because of the parking and access. I will not be using this Trader Joes very much, like everyone else, because I will not deal with the chaos around there. What a stupid mistake to move there. I never shop in Redmond because the parking is such a nightmare and, quite honestly, the produce is very poor compared to Issaquah. What are you thinking Trader Joes!!! ???

10. nancy on October 11th, 2012 5:25 pm

I have shopped at Trader Joe’s for years and I am thrilled that it is moving to a larger location. I was hoping they would move to the Issaquah Highlands area…

I really think the city of Issaquah needs to make modification in the intersection between Target and Ross stores to ease the traffic congestion ( a 4 stop traffic light would not be so bad).

All the best to you T.J.

11. christa on November 12th, 2012 2:24 pm

I am also amazed about the new location, the traffic will be MORE than awful, I would have suggested to use the old Albertson Store, standing empty forever now, and THAT parking would be so GREAT and is easy to get in and out of. People would have loved it. I try not to go to that intersection where TJ is going to be . One accident was enough. If it would have been a little too large at the former A there could have been a little coffeshop/bistro added perhaps. The parking would have been absolutely fabulous and VERY MUCH apprecited by many.

12. m. cassidy on November 30th, 2012 4:16 pm

Can’t say enough about how horrible the new Trader Joe’s location is. The employees are unhappy about the drive/park issues, the customers are, and today I saw a poor old guy taking his life in his hands just to walk back out to his car. Who are the city planning people who approved this fiasco?

13. Ann on December 7th, 2012 1:50 pm

It took me a while to get over to the new Trader Joe’s store to check it out.The aisles are wider but no other improvement. I was suspicious that they wouldn’t have any parking there, and I was right. Totally packed. What a shame. I wish they had moved to the old Albertson’s store. There’s masses of parking there and easy access, in and out.