Measure materializes to repeal Issaquah plastic bag ban

June 12, 2012

Opponents of legislation to ban plastic bags at Issaquah retailers plan to challenge the ordinance on the November ballot.

Craig Keller, a Seattle resident behind the unsuccessful effort to repeal the Seattle plastic bag ban, started organizing opponents to the Issaquah legislation after the June 4 decision to outlaw plastic bags.

Opponents need to gatherĀ 2,548 signatures.

Keller plans to enlist volunteers to collect signatures, including merchants opposed to the ban.

The campaign, called Save Our Choice, is in the process of retooling www.saveourchoice.us from the Seattle measure for the Issaquah measure. In addition to the website, voters can call the campaign at 206-932-2243 to learn more.

Other Stories of Interest: ,

Comments

6 Responses to “Measure materializes to repeal Issaquah plastic bag ban”

1. Troublemaking on our dime on June 14th, 2012 9:43 am

If this out-of-towner gets his 892 signatures, we the residents of Issaquah will have to spend tens of thousands of dollars on the election to basically subsidize his partisan efforts. No thanks.

And where were these opposed business people when the bill was being debated? The chamber took no position, and the only business people who showed up to oppose the bill were either manufacturers or distributors of plastic bags. I will be interested to see the Save Our Choice filings with the Public Disclosure Commission.

2. Smoley on June 15th, 2012 9:30 am

@Troublemaking on our dime,

I don’t think you can ever put a price on democracy. If city council were listening to the citizens of Issaquah instead of pandering to the environmental lobbies from outside the city this initiative wouldn’t be necessary.

I’m personally against the ban because these bag bans have been shown to not have any effect on reducing plastic in landfills or litter on the streets, but if the fine folks in my town vote for it in a public election, it’s something I’ll live with.

Let’s put it on the ballot and see how everyone feels about it.

3. Sharon Brockman on June 16th, 2012 9:52 am

I live in King Co so am not able to vote against ban. Issaquah is where I shop, but will travel to Renton HiLands if plastic bags are banned. It is not only inconvenient having to carry my own bags, but unnecessary. It has been proven plastic bags are not the the problem in the landfills or litter. I have never gone into a store with the plan to purchase 2 items and come out with 20. The one bag I carry in would not handle the 20. I can see the line at checkout with customers fumbling with their bags and checkers trying to squeeze all the purchases in them. Please wake up and consider the shopper. Whats wrong with the store owners? Stand hyour ground!

4. Issaquah Resident on June 19th, 2012 11:15 am

Unfortunately, @Troublemaking on our dime, I think you are unwise to the idea of civic duty. That is to say, unless you are happy with fascist measures that take away your ability to think on your own? Why do so many people let the face value analysis of the City Council determine policy, especially with regard to the infamous bag ban. The feel good attempt by the city council to ‘eliminate’ plastic waste was nothing more than that, a feel good attempt that spends dollars to refrain people from thinking. Instead, money better spent would have been education dollars getting the word out to advocate on behalf of limiting the use and purchase of plastics (as a whole). You may recall that there were several opponents to the bag ban that spoke against the measure, specifically, a credited writer who had studied this very concern. Ironically, however, when Councilman Mark Mullet introduced the ordinance, he failed to acknowledge the credited studies previously discussed and instead played on emotional appeals. This logic therefore warrants a public vote, and if in the end it fails then so be it, but at the very least, why not give people the opportunity to think critically. Furthermore, @Troublemaking, why do you need the Chamber of Commerce to make statement to let you know when something is simply a bad idea? In my humble opinion, allowing the local businesses to get involved and speak out against the bag ban on their own was pivotal. Not to mention, the public outcry from shoppers stating they will shop elsewhere will most definitely impact the community.

Sadly, I am beginning to think that my vote in any upcoming election might be better spent as a Republican vote from the east side as opposed to my typical Democratic leanings. So be on notice, to those of you political minds potentially using the bag ban, the Issaquah Marijuana Dispensary and other potentially nefarious mandates to govern the city, my vote in this election does matter, as well as those of my friends.

5. Joe on July 15th, 2012 9:50 pm

Craig came to our door today with his petition. Nice guy. Definately no hidden adgenda. I just moved to Isssaquah to get away from crazy liberal politics in Seattle. Guess I didn’t move far enough east.

Althought this was the first time I answered the door to a right-wing political campaigne. Never got that in Peoples Republic of Seattle.

Thanks Craig for keeping the campaign alive. Good luck.

6. Alex on July 17th, 2013 7:55 pm

I am a resident of Issaquah, and ever since construction in the highlands ramped up, the number of plastic bags and other forms of waste that all those people use their so-called choice to throw on the ground has increased substantially. In fact, I am collecting data on the number of bags I am finding every day dumped in every corner where none used to be when I started a couple of years ago, and that has way more empirical value than all the so-called studies that people quote when they say bans have no effect in reducing litter. Not only is the libertarian position of saying protecting the environment around us is fascism disingenuous, it is flat out irresponsible.

There are way more peer reviewed studies showing the overwhelmingly positive effect of the bans than there are studies showing the contrary. For reference see (http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10640-006-9059-2, and http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/jsd/article/view/299 as examples.

Then again, the right wing tends to have a knack for completely ignoring science when it is not convenient to them, which is not surprising for a group that supports a party whose candidates do not believe in evolution and think the earth is only 6000 years old. If you are from outside of Issaquah and having to bring a cloth bag is inconvenient for you, you are welcome to go to anywhere else to use plastic bags. There are a ton of the same shops in Sammammish, Snoqualmie and other places, even better, move to Houston or Dallas Texas, the paradises of conservative politics, with their lovely polluted skies and yearly statewide fires. Enjoy.