Eastside Fire & Rescue offers fireworks safety tips
June 26, 2012
Eastside Fire & Rescue wants to remind Independence Day revelers to take safety precautions if planning to discharge fireworks.
- Use only legal fireworks available at approved stands.
- Keep a water hose or fire extinguisher handy to put out any stray sparks.
- Only use fireworks outdoors, away from anything that can burn.
- An adult should light all fireworks. Light one item at a time, move away quickly and keep at a safe distance until the display has finished. Used fireworks should be placed in a bucket of water.
- If a firework does not discharge, an adult should wait at least 15 minutes before approaching it.
- When finished, clean up all debris and be sure to place unused fireworks, matches and lighters away from the reach of children.