Nightmare at Beaver Lake organizers need a hand after trailer heist
June 28, 2012
By Caleb Heeringa
NEW — 12:30 p.m. June 28, 2012
Nightmare at Beaver Lake organizers asked the public for donations to replace a trailer stolen from its Kent headquarters June 19.
Scare Productions, a nonprofit theater group and partner in the the annual Halloween-themed event at Beaver Lake Park, discovered the 18-foot Wells Cargo-brand cargo trailer had been stolen.
Kelcey Hendricks, promotions director at Scare Productions, said the group believes the trailer went missing late in the evening of June 12 or early June 13.
The group reported the theft has been reported to Kent police, but police have no leads yet, he added.
The trailer contained several props used in the Halloween event, including an 8-foot by 4-foot vibrating floor, two 5-foot-tall Jacob’s ladders and other tools.
Despite the theft, Nightmare at Beaver Lake is still on and is scheduled for Oct. 19 to Oct. 31, though Hendricks said money normally used for the production could be needed to replace the trailer.
How to help
Nightmare at Beaver Lake organizer Scare Productions, a nonprofit organization, is seeking donations for a replacement trailer at http://pledgie.com/campaigns/17640.
Nightmare at Beaver Lake is the largest Halloween haunt in the Puget Sound region and, perhaps, in the West.
The annual event is sponsored by the Rotary Club of Sammamish and over the years has raised tens of thousands of dollars for area charities.
Proceeds benefited numerous programs and organizations, including scholarships for local students, aid for local families in need during the holiday season, Eastside Baby Corner, Habitat for Humanity of East King County and others. The event also raised dollars for computers for schools in Uganda and wells in Ethiopia.
The 2011 creep show required up to 200 volunteers per night — including up to 120 costume-clad actors.