July 10, 2012
Thundering into town
Thundering Angels MC Presents the sixth annual Issaquah Motorcycle Extravaganza Weekend July 14-15. The event kicks off with the annual Thundering Ride poker run at 10 a.m. Saturday. Sunday is the annual Burgers, Bikes and Babes rally from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-in, 98 N.E. Gilman Blvd. Learn more at www.thunderingangels.com.
The Issaquah Farmers Market, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 14, Pickering Barn, 1730 10th Ave. N.W. Learn more at www.issaquahfar-mersmarket.org or call 837-3311. This week’s lineup includes:
- Blood Drive by the Puget Sound Blood Center in the outdoor market
- Family magic show by Kid Magician Cizek, 10:30-11 a.m. in the courtyard
- Dance performances by Issaquah Emeralds of Emerald City Dance, 11:30 a.m. and noon in the dairy barn
- Musical entertainment by The Double Barrs, playing ragtime and ‘20s and ‘30s swing, noon to 2 p.m. in the courtyard
- Cooking demonstration by Chef Elon Wagoner, of ERA Living, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the outdoor market
The American Association of Nude Recreation’s Amazing Canvas Nudist Face and Body Painting Event is at 11 a.m. July 14 at Fraternity Snoqualmie, 24050 S.E. 127th St. Learn more at www.fraternitysnoqualmie.com or call 392-6833.
Second Saturday Film Series: “Bluebeard,” 7 p.m. July 14, Issaquah Train Depot, 50 Rainier Blvd. N., free
The Lewis Creek Park Visitor Center offers programs for the whole family throughout the summer at 5808 Lakemont Blvd. S.E. Learn more by calling 452-4195 or go to www.bellevuewa.gov/lewis_creek_park.htm.
- Family Discovery Series: Pond Dip, for ages 6 and older with an adult, 1-2 p.m. July 14
- Lewis Creek Film Series: “Hunters and Hunted,” for ages 12 and older, 2-3 p.m. July 15
- Family Discovery Series: Green Hour, for ages 5 and older with an adult, 1-2 p.m. July 20
- Know Your Yard Series: Your Plants, for ages 12 and older, 1-2:30 p.m. July 22
- Hike Fabulous Forests: Weowna Park, 10 a.m. to noon July 27, free
- Naturalist Book Club: “In Defense of Food,” by Michael Pollan, for ages 15 and older, 3-5 p.m. July 29
The 15th annual Issaquah Rotary Challenge Day Race, a soapbox derby race for participants with disabilities, is from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 14 on Second Avenue in front of the community center. Sign up starts at 8:30 a.m. Learn more or become a sponsor by calling 392-5682 or 799-8772.
Chalk Art Fest, for all ages, noon to 5 p.m. July 17, community center sidewalks, on a first-come, first-served basis. Winning drawings in several age categories will be announced at 6 p.m. before Concerts on the Green begins.
Concerts on the Green presents Echoes, a Pink Floyd Tribute band, from 7-8:30 p.m. July 17 on the community center lawn. Admission is free, although donations will be accepted.
Harlem Globetrotter TNT Maddox teaches a kids’ basketball clinic from 2-5 p.m. July 18-19 at 24 Hour Fitness, 5712 E. Lake Sammamish Parkway. Registration is $59. Learn more at www.harlemglobetrotters.com/clinics or call 1-800-641-HOOP toll free.
Renowned gardener Ciscoe Morris hosts the complimentary talk “Fun Ideas to Make Your Garden Sparkle” at 1 p.m. July 21 at University House Issaquah, 22975 S.E. Black Nugget Road. RSVP by calling 557-4200. Learn more at www.eraliving.com/communities/issaquah.
The Issaquah Massage Envy is partnering with the USO Puget Sound Area to offer free therapeutic massages for active-duty military and their spouses July 23. Military IDs will be required at check in. Massage Envy is at 735 N.W. Gilman Blvd. Call 391-4455.
Sleep Country USA’s New Clothing Drive for Foster Kids runs through July 22. Drop off donations of clothes in all sizes, including packaged undergarments and socks, at a store near you. The Issaquah Sleep Country, at 730 N.W. Gilman Blvd., is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Learn more at www.sleepcountry.com or call 1-888-88-SLEEP toll free.
“Truth Trackers and the Secret of the Stone Tablets,” for ages 4-10, Sundays 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. through Aug. 5 at Foothills Baptist Church, 10120 Issaquah-Hobart Road S.E. Call 392-5925 or go to www.foothillschurch.net.
Swedish/Issaquah offers the following classes at 751 N.E. Blakely Drive:
- “Joint Replacement: The Right Choice for You?” 6-8 p.m. July 18
- “AARP Driver Safety Course,” ages 50 and older, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 28, $12 for AARP members/$14 for nonmembers
ArtEAST offers the following workshops at its Art Center, 95 Front St. N. Go to www.arteast.org or call 996-8553.
- “Figure Drawing Open Studio: Short Pose,” Mondays 9:30-11:30 a.m., $20 per session
- “Beginning Bead-making Workshop Series,” 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays, $75 per session
- “Live Model Open Studio Figure Drawing,” 7-9 p.m. Tuesdays, $20 per session
- “ABCs and 123s of Bookbinding,” 6-9 p.m. July 12, $45 for artEAST members, $55 for nonmembers
- “Painting from the Fire Within,” 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 14, $90
- “Polymer Clay Drum Beads and Textured Pendants,” 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 19, $60
- “Topics in Expressive Figure Drawing and Reprise,” 6:30-9:30 p.m. July 25, $56
- “Introduction to Glass Fusing,” 1-5 p.m. July 29, $85
Seattle Tilth presents Wildlife Gardens, for adults, 3 p.m. July 28 at Pickering Barn, 1730 10th Ave. N.W., $36 for nonmembers, $54 household price for two adults. Learn more at http://seattletilth.org/about/issaquahgardenprogram.
The following events take place at the Issaquah Library, 10 W. Sunset Way. Call 392-5430.
PSAT Practice Test, for teens, 1 p.m. July 8; test results workshop 1 p.m. July 13
“Dream Big! Read and Experiment at a Science Show,” for ages 4 and up with an adult, 1 and 2 p.m. July 16
Summer Book Discussion, for adults, “The Beekeeper’s Apprentice,” 6:30 p.m. July 16
“Hot Flashes and Related Symptom Management with Natural Medicine,” for adults, 7 p.m. July 17
Dare to Dream Storytelling, for all ages with an adult, 7 p.m. July 19
“Half of Americans Will Need Long Term Care,” for adults, 10 a.m. July 21
Dancing Pajamas Concert, for all ages with an adult, 1 and 2 p.m. July 23
“The Anticancer Lifestyle,” for adults, 7 p.m. July 24
Raccoon Tunes and Possum Tales Music Show, for ages 3 and older with an adult, 1 and 2 p.m. July 30
Opera preview: “Turandot,” for adults, 7 p.m. July 31
Author J.A. Jance discusses her newest book “Judgment Call” at 7:30 p.m. July 24 at the Sammamish Library, 825 228th Ave. S.E.
Issaquah Valley Senior Center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday at 75 N.E. Creek Way. The following activities are open to people 55 and older. Call 392-2381.
“Our Story, Ourselves” Symposium: Pete Peterson on baseball, 1:30 p.m. July 13
Metro Trip With Dave: Pike Place Market, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. July 19, bring your ORCA card
Hawaiian Luau, featuring food by Aegis of Issaquah, music by Nikkei Horizons Aloha Band, 4-6 p.m. July 20, $5 donation at the door
The following day trips are offered through July:
- Golden Gardens Park, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 18, $11/$13
- Fort Lewis Museum, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. July 19, $12/$14
- Ride The Duck, 9:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 25, $32/$34
- Red Wind Casino, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 30, free