Dump leftover Independence Day fireworks for safety

July 10, 2012

By Staff

Fourth of July revelers should dump leftover fireworks, rather than storing the pyrotechnics inside a home or garage.

Curious children may decide to light old fireworks. Exposure to water or chemicals can cause the composition of fireworks to change, making them hazardous materials. Stray sparks could ignite fireworks and lead to disaster. Or the explosives could spontaneously combust.

Safety experts recommend disposing of small amounts of fireworks by removing the fuse, and then soaking the fireworks in water until saturated. The waterlogged fireworks should then be double-bagged in trash bags.

The state Fire Marshal’s Office offers additional tips for Independence Day revelers to toss leftover fireworks at www.wsp.wa.gov/fire/fireworks.htm.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , ,

Comments

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.