King County Metro Transit offers discounted tickets to homeless people

September 24, 2012

By Staff

NEW — 6 a.m. Sept. 24, 2012

King County Metro Transit is poised to offer more than 41,000 additional subsidized bus tickets to community service groups.

Officials said the human services bus ticket program offers critical support for homeless people by providing a means to get to jobs, medical appointments, shelters and other services.

Funding for the program came in a mass transit package approved last year by the King County Council. The funding for subsidized tickets augments the $1.8 million Metro Transit already contributes each year for discounted tickets.

The package approved by the council imposed a $20 vehicle-tab fee to forestall a 17-percent reduction to mass transit countywide.

“The cost of bus tickets is prohibitive to our clients who have little, if any income at all,” Leslie Miller, client services director for The Sophia Way, a nonprofit organization serving homeless women in East King County, said in a statement. “Without bus tickets, clients are often forced to choose between accessing critical services such as shelter, case management and medical appointments, job interviews and school.”

The incentive program enables each King County household registering a vehicle to either receive eight Metro free ride tickets or donate the tickets’ value to the Human Services Reduced Fare Bus Ticket Program.

The program started collecting funds in June and plans to continue through May 2014.

Established in 1993, the program provides transportation assistance for homeless and low-income residents of Seattle and King County. Local agencies pay 20 percent of the tickets’ value and Metro Transit contributes the remaining 80 percent.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , ,

Comments

2 Responses to “King County Metro Transit offers discounted tickets to homeless people”

  1. Jaime on September 24th, 2012 3:22 pm

    I really hope this goes to the right people. This is the reason I stopped taking metro in the first place. Smelly rude homeless people who act like you just walked into there home and should leave.

  2. margaux on September 24th, 2012 8:40 pm

    @jaime: could you mean “their home”? Your comment is grammatically incorrect; maybe you should hop back on the bus so you can work on learning the English language while commuting.

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.