Shooting spree ends with suspect’s death

October 30, 2012

By Warren Kagarise

Deputies launched a manhunt in East King County on Oct. 27, after a man shot a woman in the May Valley area after shooting another man in Renton.

Police later found the suspect, 48-year-old Renton resident John L. McKay, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Investigators said McKay stormed into his estranged wife’s Renton home at about 2:30 p.m. Investigators said he shot Tina McKay’s boyfriend, and pistol-whipped her daughter and her daughter’s boyfriend.

John McKay then drove to the home of his former mother-in-law, Linda Ryan, in the 13400 block of 209th Avenue Southeast in unincorporated King County south of Issaquah. (The house is about a block south of Southeast May Valley Road and about five miles southeast of downtown Issaquah.)

Detectives said McKay kicked in Ryan’s front door, chased her through the house and shot her as she ran into the backyard. King County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrived just before 3 p.m. and said the 67-year-old Ryan suffered from multiple gunshot wounds.

Medics transported Ryan to Seattle’s Harborview Medical Center for treatment. Police launched a manhunt for John McKay, and told residents he was considered armed and dangerous.

The suspect fled both shootings in a rental car, a black 2011 Chevrolet Aveo with Oregon license plates.

Deputies received a call at about 8:30 p.m. about a vehicle matching the description. The caller said the Aveo was parked and running near 13000 Martin Luther King Jr. Way S. in the unincorporated Skyway area between Renton and Seattle.

Investigators discovered John McKay dead in the driver’s seat from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Ryan and the man wounded in Renton remained hospitalized Oct. 29; both are expected to recover.

The incident came after months of threats John McKay made against his estranged wife.

John McKay told his wife on May 1 that “a protection order wouldn’t stop a bullet,” court documents state.

The next day, Tina McKay went to lunch at a Thai restaurant in Issaquah, where an Issaquah police officer happened to be eating lunch as well. The officer noticed McKay talking on the phone and sobbing. Then, as the officer left the restaurant, Tina McKay stopped him to ask questions about her estranged husband.

John McKay called his wife as she talked to the officer, and she put the call on speaker phone for the officer to listen. When she told her husband that she wanted a divorce, he threatened to kill her.

Tina McKay then obtained a temporary protection order against her husband in King County District Court.

In June, John McKay pleaded guilty to felony harassment and domestic violence for the threats he made during the incident. He was sentenced to a year in community custody, ordered to pay restitution and prohibited from contacting his wife.

John McKay pleaded guilty last month to malicious mischief after police said he backed his Ford van into a neighbor’s garage and the car inside.

Deputies responding to the incident said he was heavily intoxicated, crying hysterically and mumbling, court documents state.

Prosecutors recommended a one-year sentence for the malicious mischief charge. The court instead ordered him to undergo drug treatment and pay restitution for the damage to the neighbor’s garage and car.

John McKay was also involved in a lawsuit related to a used-car dealership he operated in Renton.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , , ,


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.