King County Metro Transit holiday schedule starts on Veterans Day
November 9, 2012
NEW — 8 a.m. Nov. 9, 2012
King County Metro Transit bus riders should prepare for reduced service in upcoming weeks, starting Nov. 12, as the nation observes Veterans Day.
The transit agency operates on a reduced weekday schedule on several holidays through January — including a full week of reduced service at the end of December.
The planned reductions arrive during a slow period, as Metro Transit experiences a reduction in weekday riders — estimated to reach 15 percent or more systemwide.
The mass transit agency uses a Sunday schedule for several of the upcoming holidays. The reduced weekday schedule features more bus service than on weekends, but less service than on regular weekdays. Officials estimate the limited schedule saves Metro Transit about $1 million per year.
The reduced weekday schedule is in effect for:
- Monday, Nov. 12 – Veterans Day observed
- Friday, Nov. 23 – day after Thanksgiving
- Monday, Dec. 24 – Christmas Eve
- Wednesday to Friday, Dec. 26-28 – winter holiday period
- Monday, Dec. 31 – New Year’s Eve
- Monday, Jan. 21 – Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Expect Sunday schedules for:
- Sunday, Nov. 11 – Veterans Day
- Thursday, Nov. 22 – Thanksgiving
- Tuesday, Dec. 25 – Christmas
- Tuesday, Jan. 1 – New Year’s Day
For reduced weekday schedules, some commuter and school-oriented routes do not operate, and Metro Transit cancels some trips on other routes. The agency also makes adjustments on routes serving the University of Washington.
Find information about Metro Transit’s holiday service at metro.kingcounty.gov/up/holiday-service.html. Or, call the Customer Information Office at 206-553-3000.