To the Editor

December 18, 2012

By Contributor

Issaquah Schools Foundation

Thanks for going All in for Kids

Once again, I am in awe of our community’s ability to come together to meet the needs of our children and families.

Not only was it inspiring to see the $25,000 raised for the food bank through the Turkey Trot last week and the response to the Caring and Sharing and Merry Christmas Issaquah efforts currently under way, but, thanks to our generous community, 300 intrepid student callers, dedicated volunteers and support of the PTSAs and school district, $366,805 was raised during the All in for Kids campaign, which will provide a plethora of opportunities for our students. Go to www.isfdn.com to learn more or make a donation.

I am so proud to be a part of this caring community! Thank you to all of you who were kind to our student callers, and everyone in the community who opens their hearts and wallets to make sure so many needs are met.

Robin Callahan, executive director

Issaquah Schools Foundation
Gun control

Put blame where it is due

Well, here we go again. The screeching and finger pointing will be ignited anew. Some mixed-up soul orphaned his own 3-year-old daughter and then blew his brains out in front of his coaches. Within hours, liberal sportscasters were calling for gun control.

Certainly, there is room for compassion and frustration, but let’s keep our eye on the ball.

Guns do not leave the store, strain to get out of the box, load themselves and hunt down a victim. It is murderers who kill people — even without a gun — so perhaps we should outlaw bare hands, too. The problem is our government and society are so corrupt that we condone sending assault weapons across our borders to murder hundreds of human beings and think nothing of it — but God forbid a person be able to defend himself or herself with a firearm in America.

Controlling murder by controlling handguns is as effective as controlling alcohol-related accidents by making it harder for sober people to drive a car. Modern history is filled with tyrannical governments whose first step was to control guns, the church and the press. Maybe we should focus harder on making it an unpardonable “life and death” sentence to harm someone with any weapon.

Mark Bowers

Issaquah

Fiscal cliff

Write to our lawmakers

I sent the following letter to our Republican representatives in Congress as well to Speaker John Boehner. I encourage everyone who feels the same way to write to them, too. (Just Google their name with the word “Contact,” and you can e-mail your message.)

I am urging you to stop bickering on the President’s plan to prevent/avoid the fiscal cliff. The people voted on Nov. 6, 2012, to support him. We want to let tax rates return to what they were during the Clinton administration for people earning over $250,000 per year. We want Medicare and Social Security protected. (There may have to be some modifications, but these programs are basic to our humane society). And we want to stop paying salaries for members of Congress who are obstructionists to getting the work done.

Let’s hope you will not be one of them.

As they say at Nike: Just Do It!

Barbara Extract

Issaquah

‘The Sound of Music’

I want to send a public thank you to Issaquah High School and the very talented youth who presented “The Sound of Music.” Fabulous voices, great sets and the orchestra was top notch. Parents, educators, mentors, friends and everyone involved in this production deserve kudos for this very professional production.

Good job, all!

Maggie Koeppler

Issaquah

Comments

7 Responses to “To the Editor”

1. Dave on December 18th, 2012 6:51 pm

Mark – your timing is as poor as your rationale. Really, who needs semi-automatic weapons, high capacity magazines, armor piercing ammunition?

Ask yourself if an “unpardonable Life or Death sentence” would have had any effect on Friday.

It’s not just ‘Liberals’ who want this. It’s any reasonable member of a this modern society.

2. Smoley on December 19th, 2012 5:20 pm

Dave,

I don’t think any gun law would have prevented what happened on Friday in Connecticut. The shooter was insane and certainly didn’t care about breaking any laws. Had his mother possessed six-shot revolvers and shotguns, he could have killed just as many people. For that matter, he could have used $4 and bought a gallon of gasoline and… well, let’s just say there is nothing stopping a determined madman.

New laws aren’t going to stop the sort of thing that happened in Connecticut. Nor would they stop the crazy guy that came though my downtown Issaquah neighborhood a little over a year ago pointing a gun at my neighbors and then got into a fatal shootout on school property with the police.

What we need to do as “reasonable members of a modern society” is to recognize people with mental health problems and get them help. We also need to ensure that firearms (of all types) are not in the hands of these people and not accessible to children.

A young man committed suicide just last week at Skyline HS with a firearm. How did he get that weapon? It’s a tragedy that he took his own life, but it could have been much worse had he a grudge to bear against his fellow classmates.

I have no more problem with responsible, vetted adults owning semi-automatic handguns, rifles, or magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, than I do someone owning a car and having a stockpile of hard liquor at home. Responsible adults know not to drink and drive and responsible gun owners know how to properly handle and store weapons.

As long as criminals are capable of coming into my home wielding the type of weapons that you’ve described, I should have the right to own similar weapons to adequately defend myself and my family.

3. Doug on December 20th, 2012 1:46 pm

Using Dave’s logic maybe they should ban all cars capable of going over 150 mph. That’s overkill too, isn’t it?

4. Margaret Johnston on December 20th, 2012 10:12 pm

Barbara -
    A less than one percent margin of victory (popular vote) does not a mandate make. Additionally, Republicans would likely jump at the chance to go back to Clinton tax rates if we MATCHED them with Clinton era spending. Lastly, Americans did vote for DIVIDED government, possibly for a reason! The House of Representatives most closely matches the voice of all the people.

5. Ken Tate on December 23rd, 2012 9:58 am

Issaquah’s 21st Century verison of the Appian Way.

For those that may have used the Trail North of Town which extends North to Redmond and was abrubtly closed last Spring for construction of a new and better trail, may be wondering; what is going on and what is this mondern day “Wonder” going to cost. Perhaps more important, what was so flawed with the existing trail.

It’s frustrating to watch the progress of this expensive endeaver. The array of Construction Machinery resembles that of a major HI-way construction project and proceeds at a Snails Pace, completion date……who knows! Is anyone accountable; what is the cost and who is payiing for it.

Whatever the case, it seems llke an extravagance.which is consuming a lot of money that could have been put to better use,

6. Lisa Phillips on December 24th, 2012 1:00 am

To the community of Newtown, Connecticut:

I don’t know you.
    And yet, I do.

I don’t know your kids.
    And yet, I do.

I’ve never been to your school.
    But my kids went to a neighborhood elementary school of 430 students in the suburban Issaquah School District. I was involved in the PTA, site counsel, and was a substitute teacher, so I knew almost every student in the school, by name. I knew their families. I knew all of the staff. I advocated for tighter safety standards against a district operations executive who said, “things like that don’t happen, here.”

I don’t know your community.
    And yet, I imagine it to be like any of the towns where I’ve lived – a community connected by families who look out for one another.

I can imagine your terror.
    I will never forget the horror, worry, and the interminably long, 30-minute drive from work to my son’s daycare when a teacher was shot before her class of 4-year-olds in suburban Philadelphia – a community not unlike where I live, now. All I knew was that there was a shooting. I didn’t know whether my son was alive. I vividly remember the scene – the kids, the teachers, the parents, the police, the press, my hysterical call to my husband…. It happened 18 years ago but I remember it as if it were yesterday.

I don’t know your pain.
    I can only imagine it. And I do, every hour of every day. I cry, often.

I wish I could help.
    I wish I could ease your burden.
    I walk around in a fog, as I did during the aftermath of September 11, 2001.
    Nothing makes sense. I’m going through the motions.

I will never forget this.
    I will never forget you.
    I will never stop praying for you.

Sincerely,

Lisa Phillips
    Renton, Washington

7. Smoley on December 24th, 2012 8:15 am

Ken,

Unfortunately that’s become somewhat business as usual around here.

Did you forget about this boondoggle last year…