Hoax prompts lockdown at downtown Issaquah schools

January 9, 2013

By Warren Kagarise

NEW — 12:30 p.m. Jan. 9, 2013

School administrators put Issaquah High and Tiger Mountain Community High schools into lockdown Wednesday, and Clark Elementary and Issaquah Middle schools into modified lockdown, after a student made a false report about a threat.

The hoax led police presence at Issaquah High as administrators and investigators attempted to determine the credibility of the information.

In a lockdown, students remain inside classrooms with the doors locked. The modified lockdown at Clark Elementary and Issaquah Middle meant students had to stay inside school buildings.

The lockdown at Issaquah High and Tiger Mountain Community High lasted for a few minutes.

“You likely heard that we were in lockdown this morning following a student report of suspicious activity in the upper parking lot,” Issaquah High Principal Paula Phelps said a message emailed to the school community at 11:25 a.m. “We have discovered that report to be completly false, and our school day has resumed normally.”

School officials said the incident is not connected the discovery of ammunition on the Issaquah High campus Monday.

The student reported the ammunition to administrators, and the school resource officer checked the area. The officer determined the ammunition likely fell from a backpack or pocket.

School administrators reviewed security camera footage and called a staff meeting to determine if any administrators or teachers noticed any strange student behavior. Then, police also swept the building with dogs but did not discover any evidence of a firearm.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , , , , ,


3 Responses to “Hoax prompts lockdown at downtown Issaquah schools”

  1. Issaquah High Schooler on January 9th, 2013 5:30 pm

    The lockdown at IHS did not last a few minutes but more than 30 minutes. Get your facts straight

  2. Susan on January 9th, 2013 6:21 pm

    My student goes to Issaquah high school and they were in lock down for close to an hour, not just a few minutes.

  3. Enough is Enough on January 9th, 2013 9:15 pm

    EXACTLY! FACTS, then report!!!! Lockdown lasted for 45 mins and safety measures taken! This article makes it sound as if it were a non-issue. Not the case.

Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.