March 26, 2013
By Jacob Brunette
Pull off a successful prank
April Fool’s Day is almost here, and everyone knows what that means: the one day of the year where being a jerk is totally acceptable, as long as you are a funny jerk. With that in mind, here is how to successfully be a funny jerk:
- Pick a good target. Family members or close friends are a good idea because they are less likely to mistake your prank as mean behavior. This will allow you to be as mean as needed for maximum comedic effect.
- Once you have picked a target, tailor your prank specifically to an individual’s personality quirks. Replacing the cream in an Oreo with toothpaste does not work if the Oreo-eater huffs toothpaste in secret.
- Make it believable. Pretending to lose a limb will be less shocking if the prank recipient already knows about your prosthetic arm.
- Make the best out of what you have. Homemade fake spiders can be just as frightening as store-bought ones, especially if you remember to add authentic dead animal hair.
- Be considerate. Those who have lost a loved one to a house fire tend to react poorly to having their own house set on fire.
- Remember: Plausible deniability is key. Make sure to have a believable alibi and only reveal that you were the prank’s perpetrator after you are reasonably certain that nobody is going to call the police/fire department/Child Protective Services/etc.
If you keep these steps in mind, you can successfully pull off an amazing prank, while keeping the risk of being arrested to a minimum.