July 30, 2013
Local students named to deans’ lists
- Emma O’Melia, of Issaquah, has been named to second honors on the dean’s list for the spring 2013 semester at Clark University in Worcester, Mass.
- Clare Pfeifer, daughter of Jerome and Cindy Pfeifer, of Issaquah, has been named to the 2013 dean’s list at Lawrence University, in Appleton, Wis. Pfeifer is a 2010 graduate of Liberty High School.
- Nicholas Ryder, of Issaquah, was named to the dean’s list at Tufts University Boston.
- Michael Migotsky, a 2010 graduate of Issaquah High School, was named to the spring dean’s list with distinction at Duke University, in Durham, N.C.
- Nolan Leifer, of Renton, was recently named to the spring 2013 dean’s list at the University of Montana Western, in Dillon, Mont.
- Dawson and Troy Solly, both of Issaquah, and Stephanie Lammers, of Sammamish, were recently named to the Carroll College spring 2013 semester dean’s list.
- Sarah Greenhall, the daughter of Mark and Kim Greenhall, of Issaquah, has made the spring 2013 semester dean’s list for Franklin & Marshall College, in Lancaster, Penn.
Skyline grad earns doctorate degree
Lauren Edgar, of Issaquah, received her Ph.D. in geology from the Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences at the California Institute of Technology on June 13.
Edgar is a post-doctoral fellow at Arizona State University, where she is participating in two of NASA’s Mars rover missions: The Mars Science Laboratory rover Curiosity and the Mars Exploration rovers, Spirit and Opportunity.
Edgar is interested in past surface processes on Mars, using the sedimentary rock record to interpret past climate regimes and potential habitability.
Edgar, a graduate of Skyline High School and Dartmouth College, is the daughter of Jim and Karen Edgar, of Issaquah.
Local SPU students graduate
The following local students graduated from Seattle Pacific University:
Issaquah: Philip Benson, Master of Education, curriculum and instruction; Abigail Blum, Cum Laude, Bachelor of Arts, political science; and Tumurbat Munkhuu, Master of Science, information systems management, systems integration emphasis
Newcastle: Emily Hargis, Cum Laude, Bachelor of Arts, global development studies
Renton: Claire Henderson, Bachelor of Arts, communication, communication studies emphasis; Lisa Nelson, Master of Arts, teaching, K-12 special education emphasis; Ava Van, Bachelor of Arts, communication, journalism emphasis; and Danelle Vermeulen, Cum Laude, Bachelor of Arts, visual communication
Local student earns ISU scholarships
Hannah Schlueter, an Eastside Catholic High School graduate, received one of $800,000 in scholarships from the Iowa State University College of Human Sciences.
Schlueter, a freshman majoring in hospitality management, received the Marjorie McKinley Scholarship from the Dept. of Apparel, Events, & Hospitality Management.