Signatures have been submitted to repeal plastic bag ban

September 3, 2013

By Staff

NEW — 11:45 a.m. Sept. 4, 2013

Opponents of the city’s plastic shopping bag ban submitted petition signatures Aug. 30 in support of an initiative to require a vote of city residents to repeal the law that took effect in March.

Craig Keller, the West Seattle resident who spearheaded the Save Our Choice repeal campaign, said he submitted more than 3,400 signatures to the City Clerk’s Office.

Keller said he calculated that 2,843 valid signatures are required under state law. City and King County officials will determine the number required and the validity of those submitted.

“We’re going to keep collecting signatures,” Keller said, “to make up for any deficit they find in the validation process.”

The Issaquah City Council voted last year to ban most plastic shopping bags and require retailers to collect a 5-cent fee on paper bags.

The Save Our Choice initiative would require the City Council to either repeal the ordinance or allow citizens to vote on a repeal.

Read the full story in the Sept. 11 Issaquah Press.

Info for this story came from a press release from Craig Keller, Issaquah Press reporter Peter Clark and Seattle Times reporter Keith Ervin.

Other Stories of Interest: , , , ,

Comments

9 Responses to “Signatures have been submitted to repeal plastic bag ban”

1. exoticdoc2 on September 3rd, 2013 12:42 pm

This nanny state, PC ban is idiotic. Issaquah needs a new city council. I myself have avoided shopping there when possible due to this foolish ban.

2. helenwheels on September 3rd, 2013 8:03 pm

This is not ‘nanny state’ territory. This is protecting the planet and reducing resources. It’s a shame people consider a plastic bag some sort of civil right versus looking out for the rights of the earth. And yes, the data shows how damaging the bags are and how much energy is consumed by developing them.

3. Sally on September 4th, 2013 10:49 am

I expect you didn’t shop in Issaquah anyway. Nanny state? Try “taking the high road”!

4. Vos Normandy on September 5th, 2013 7:54 am

No one seems to address compostable bags. Why not require stores to offer those at 5 cents a pop instead of the more damaging paper bags? Would solve problems on both sides.

5. Smoley on September 5th, 2013 10:03 am

I’ve gotten used to shopping at stores outside of Issaquah and may not return to shopping here even if the bag ban is repealed. The way I see it, this town doesn’t deserve my business or sales tax revenue if its local government thinks I can’t be trusted to dispose of my trash in a responsible manner.

If I were a betting man, I suspect the initiative to repeal the ordinance will fail at the ballot box. I’ve noticed that in this part of the state being able to feel like you’re making a difference is more important than actually making a difference. Logic and common sense take a back seat to being able to say “At least we’re doing something!” to the other parents at your kids’ soccer games.

It’s amusing that for people in this town that claim to care so much about the environment, they’re seemingly indifferent with our city council’s plan to drastically increase our population by allowing the building high-rise apartments in the Central area. Those thousands of new citizens packed into our city’s core will do far more environmental damage to this area than plastic shopping bags would in a hundred years, yet we hear nary a peep from the feel-good eco bunch on this issue.

6. Steve on September 6th, 2013 12:09 pm

I just moved to the Sammamish area, and as others have posted, this ban is idiotic and annoying. I’ve so far been driving to Redmond or Bellevue to avoid shopping here.

7. Mark on September 6th, 2013 4:15 pm

Steve keep shopping elsewhere!…nobody cares!…the ban is great…LOVE how it points out just who the lazy slobs who can’t even grasp using reusable bags…proud of the smart people of Issaquah who put the future for their kids above a MINOR change…the bags aren’t coming back…so deal…

8. Smoley on September 7th, 2013 11:19 pm

Mark, I hope you don’t use plastic bags for produce, small items like nuts & bolts from hardware stores, dry cleaning, and for any carry-out food purchased in town?

I trust you also don’t use plastic trash bags in your home? Or would never, ever buy anything wrapped in disposable plastic, would you?

I mean, c’mon, you wouldn’t want to do anything as foolish as this to ruin the future of our children, would you?

9. Vos Normandy on September 10th, 2013 1:26 pm

Yes Mark, I’m sure our descendants will cheer at how we kept plastic bags out of our anaerobic landfills, instead choosing to time-capsule tons upon tons of glass, computers, plastic bottles, plastic toys and everything else that will take thousands of years to decompose. Finger-crossed that future archeologists will crack open an ancient Issaquah septic tank and marvel at the smell of roses!