Police nab sex offender, former coach

September 9, 2013

By Peter Clark

NEW — 2:36 p.m. Sept. 9, 2013

Issaquah Police arrested convicted sex offender and former basketball coach Tony Giles after he frightened a teenage girl.

The 56-year-old Giles, a Level 3 sex offender, of Renton, was taken into custody for communications with a minor for immoral purposes, after he made lewd comments to a 16-year old girl.

According to charging documents, Giles approached multiple people Aug. 28 in the 700 block of Northwest Gilman Boulevard. Three different people reported he was driving around taking pictures of women and making derogatory remarks.

“The first complainant was present with her son, who heard the comments and observed the male taking photographs,” the probable cause document reads. According to a witness’ statement, after taking pictures, Giles made sexually suggestive remarks.

After the encounter, the woman and her son followed the man’s car and copied his license plate to report it.

Another victim was a 16-year-old girl. “He made a loop, came back around and stopped in front of her. The black male adult then leaned over the console and yelled out to her.”

The girl ran and alerted her parents, who recorded the man’s license plate information and provided a description of the suspect to the police. That information assisted the police in the investigation and allowed detectives to confirm his identity.

According to police documents, Giles was interviewed and said he was in Issaquah on an errand.

“Giles admitted and provided a voluntary statement that he was in Issaquah,” the documents read. He was “claiming he dropped off his girlfriend for an appointment and then lingered in the area while waiting.”

Giles was taken into custody Sept. 5.

Giles was convicted of first-degree sexual misconduct with a minor in 2003 and sentenced to 40 months in custody. He was also found guilty of stealing a deceased child’s identity for the purpose of obtaining a Social Security card and circumventing his sexual offender status in 2010. He served two and a half years for that crime and was released in 2012.

Giles was the co-owner of a coaching business named Players Only from 1990 to 1993. He was convicted “from allegations of sexual misconduct with underage females during his role as a private basketball coach,” according to a complaint for the violations from United States Magistrate Brian Tsuchida.

The court set Giles’ bail at $300,000 after a first hearing Sept. 6. A second hearing was scheduled for Sept. 10, which was after The Press’ deadline.

Bookmark and Share
Other Stories of Interest: , , ,


Got something to say?

Before you comment, please note:

  • These comments are moderated.
  • Comments should be relevant to the topic at hand and contribute to its discussion.
  • Personal attacks and/or excessive profanity will not be tolerated and such comments will not be approved.
  • This is not your personal chat room or forum, so please stay on topic.