Fatal collision on Issaquah-Hobart Road

November 6, 2013

By Staff

NEW — 4:12 p.m. Nov. 6, 2013

A fatal car collision occurred on Issaquah-Hobart Road according to the King County Sheriff’s Office Nov. 6.

Though few details are currently known, Public Information Officer Cindi West said a car or small SUV was hit in a head-on collision with a large dump truck around 2:48 p.m. The operator of the smaller vehicle died at the scene. She said it appeared one of the vehicles might have crossed the center line.

West said the through way will be closed between Southeast May Valley Road and Southeast Tiger Mountain Road for an investigation in the events leading to the driver’s death.

Other Stories of Interest:

Comments

12 Responses to “Fatal collision on Issaquah-Hobart Road”

1. AlanMcSwain on November 6th, 2013 5:19 pm

With all due respect to the tragedy of losing a fellow citizen…

It would be enormously helpful if tax payer supported public servant organizations like the KCSO would kindly give us some -general- idea how many hours a key transportation artery is to be closed for these kind of fatality investigations. Better still, let’s pretend we’re living in one of the key computer technology regions in the U.S, and have the County add a live “Closed Arterial” map the “Transportation” website that the Officers themselves can re-status from any smartphone.

We’re all very sad that one of us did not make it home tonight. Now the rest of need to know -when- to try to get home ourselves.

2. Margaret kosog on November 6th, 2013 11:50 pm

I am deeply saddened by the accident on the Issaquah-Hobart Road on November 6th. My prayers go out to the family of the deceased.

My experience on this day was that I left work and headed to the Issaquah-Hobart Road at 3:00 on my way to Mirrormont.

The traffic was backed up, but that was not unusual. When we finally got to within a block of Mirrormont we were stopped by a police officer who said we could go no further and we had to go back to Issaquah and get to Mirromont via route 90 And 18.

I have no problem with their investigation of a fatal accident but my question is why can’t the town use their electronic signs to alert people that they can’t get beyond the May Valley Road until the investigation is complete? Or even a sign or police officer to divert traffic?

The traffic on route 90 at the route 18 exit was horrendous, it took two hours to finally get to Mirrormont

There must be a better way.

Sincerely,
    Margaret kosog

3. Rob Schnittker on November 7th, 2013 10:24 am

Sincere condolences for the loss of life, but I must agree with the comments posted above.

It was not until I reached the May Valley intersection did I find I could go no further. I had my big old dog in the Jeep who is suffering from cancer and we were less than a mile from our home.

We ended up going out May Valley to 156th to 169 to Cedar Grove. 2 1/2 hours later, we made it home. It was rough on the ole guy.

Emergency Services need to alert drivers far sooner if Issaquah-Hobart is closed for whatever reason. I would have waited it out at a dog friendly establishment like the Sunset Grill downtown had I been forewarned of the shut down.

Finally, from my viewpoint, it appeared that there was enough room to allow vehicles to pass by the incident using flaggers to control the flow of traffic, alternating directions, as they do with re-paving etc.

Again, my heart goes out to the family of the lost loved one, but this process needs to be improved.

Best Regards,

Rob

4. Angela Borgen on November 7th, 2013 1:33 pm

I also, felt terrible about someone losing their life on Wednesday. I agree with Ms. Kosog above – there should have been some sign to let people know earlier that there was no escape – it took 3 hours for me to get home I was of course one of the hundreds (or more) people in a what 15-20 mile back up bumper to bumper 3 miles per hour.

I feel for the efforts needed to investigate but that was exhausting.

Thanks you

5. ADarke on November 7th, 2013 2:12 pm

I have to agree with the previous two posters. My husband called me from the traffic backup in Issaquah around 6:30 pm to tell me not to bother trying to go home that way [he had no idea why the road was closed, and assumed a downed power line], then again from the traffic backup where 90 met 18. I assumed things would be working again after 8, only to find a police car still blocking I-H road at May Valley. Perhaps it opened shortly thereafter; I don’t know. I followed the line of cars through Renton, down to 169, and up Cedar Grove, getting home around 9. There’s the “tune to [station]” option in Issaquah, the light boards, etc. I assumed *something* would have notified me the road was still closed.

Investigating a fatal accident is important. That said, clearly the road was closed for several hours, and no one set up any notifications. It’s a lot easier to turn around and get back on the freeway if I’m in downtown Issaquah than it is if I’m at the intersection of May Valley and I-H roads.

6. k atrina on November 7th, 2013 6:18 pm

Funny as I read people frustration of being stuck in traffic I can empathize.I too have been stuck on hobart rd. one time or another..But this time it was my father that was killed..and the inconvenience people experienced on not getting to where they wanted must have been uncomfortable..but the reason the road was closed was out of respect for my Dad and how terrible and violent the accident was..I am grateful for the man who was my father..he was a amazing man who fought in WW2, and had so many great accomplishment..I have no ill feelings for you that were unhappy being delayed..but maybe take a moment and be grateful you were here on this earth to be delayed..and that my father like everyone deserves respect and consideration at the time of death..not too become a road side horror show you can tell your friends about..that is why the road was closed…out of respect for a fellow human that was loved..and maybe that might help next time you feel the DOT doesn’t send out the info fast enough or where you want it..maybe they are making sure the dignity of you or someone you love is preserved..kt

7. Justin on November 8th, 2013 11:03 am

Cause and prevention of such a tragedy is of greater importance, not the added hour to my commute. Especially when someone has lost thier life. Hobart has is high traffic road today and needs much improvment.

8. anonymous on November 8th, 2013 7:28 pm

I agree with the comments here, but remember, this is the King County Sheriff – Issaquah police themselves did not even have a status as to when the road was going to open when I called them that night!! King County won’t even come when your house is burgled, so this is not surprising at all. MANY people were stranded in Issaquah because of this event, one neighbor was not able to get home until 9:00 pm. The Sheriff should have allowed residents of the area with ID to have access and detour them around the crash. There needs to be a contingency plan for when things like this happen, but don’t hold your breath. The county won’t even plow the roads out here when it snows this year. They’ve shown over and over that they don’t give a crap about the taxpaying citizens of unincorporated King County.

9. Umm.... what? on November 9th, 2013 9:52 pm

If you live in unincorporated King County, you have made the decision to trade low taxes for low (or nonexistent) services. They are turning your paved roads into dirt ones, and you’re surprised that the KCPD is understaffed to handle a blocking accident on a rural arterial?

10. Marnie Webb on November 10th, 2013 10:31 am

I agree with the previous messages. I left Issaquah bound for Mirrormont
    before 5 p.m., but didn’t arrive home until 7:45, inching along with hundreds
    of other hapless drivers through the darkness and the rain as they crept via 128th
    to 156th, Maple Valley Hwy, and Cedar Grove Road.
    The sign in Issaquah, alerting drivers to the accident, ought to have included some
    estimate of the length of the delay, plus feasible alternate routes.
    There used to be a cut-off south of the May Valley Road-Issa Hobart road junction, but that was closed some years ago. If it still existed, southbound drivers could have exited onto May Valley Road, then doubled back and onto the Issa-Hobart, without compromising the accident scene or the investigation at all. That intersection has been the site of many terrible accidents such as the one on November 6, and the roads ought to be widened somehow because the Issa-Hobart road is no longer a bucolic country road: it is a major arterial.

11. Craig Houghton on November 10th, 2013 7:13 pm

The individual who died was a neighbor, a family person with a wife and children, a friend and an individual who served his country and community in military service. For those complaining about the commute, I’m sorry it was inconvenient for you. I’m sure he won’t be bothering you again. I’m not allowed to say what I actually think about your comments. Please crawl back under your rocks.

12. Anon Local Resident on November 13th, 2013 10:31 am

@ Craig Houghton and “k atrina”:

No one here wrote anything disrespecful. We’re very sorry this occurred, and for the loss of a loved one. All we’re asking is that King County do a better job of mitigating the impact on traffic and the community when something this tragic occurs. That is not an impossible or unreasonable task.