Celebrate an egg-cellent Easter at community events
April 15, 2014
By Christina Corrales-Toy
Communities across the world will celebrate Easter on April 20, but Issaquah residents don’t have to go far to enjoy the holiday festivities.
Get a head start on the Easter holiday weekend with the city’s annual Underwater Egg Hunt and Carnival on April 18 at the Julius Boehm Pool, 50 S.E. Clark St.
Attendees should bring a swimsuit, towel and plastic basket to join in on the fun. Prizes are awarded for eggs gathered. While swimmers bob for eggs below, others can enjoy carnival games on the observation deck.
The event is from 6:30-9 p.m. Egg-hunt times are spaced to accommodate different age groups. Cost is $6 per child, and those 16 and younger are welcome to participate. Pre-registration is required. Call 837-3350.
Easter-egg hunts are not only for young children. Teens can get in on the action with the Issaquah Highlands’ Friday Night Flashlight Eggstravanza from 7-10 p.m. April 18 at Blakely Hall and Village Green Park, 2550 N.E. Park Drive.
The evening affair, coordinated by the Highlands Youth Advisory Board, is for middle and high school students only. It will also feature music, ice cream and prizes. Teens should bring something to carry eggs in. Admission is $5 and student identification is required.
Meet the Easter Bunny at the Gilman Village EGGStravaganza, 317 N.W. Gilman Blvd., from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 19. Families are welcome to snap photos with the fluffy holiday mascot. Kids should bring their own baskets and visit participating stores for Easter treats. Admission is free.
Across town, the Sammamish YMCA is holding an egg-stravaganza of its own from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 19. Attendees can enjoy live music while exploring an obstacle course, bounce house and more.
The free community event includes two egg-hunt sessions. Children younger than 4 can hunt for Easter goodies from 10-11:30 a.m. Older children can partake in the fun at 11 a.m.
Parking is limited, so the community is asked to park at Discovery Elementary School, 2300 228th Ave. S.E., Sammamish, and take the shuttle to the facility.
Adventure Kids Playcare, 775 N.W. Gilman Blvd., C-3, is hosting its fifth annual Spring Festival from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 19. The free event features a dunk tank, bouncy houses, an Easter egg hunt, laser tag, indoor video game trailer, a hamster ball racetrack and more.
All of the Easter festivities can cause you to work up quite an appetite, so a few local businesses are offering special buffets.
The family can celebrate Easter at Sip Wine Bar & Restaurant. The restaurant’s breakfast and brunch buffet is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 20. Make reservations at www.siprestaurant.com.
Holiday Inn hosts an Easter spring buffet from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 20 at its Junipers Restaurant, 1801 12th Ave. N.W.
Several churches also have Easter holiday plans:
- Good Friday Service, 7 p.m., Issaquah Christian Church, 10328 Issaquah-Hobart Road S.E., www.iccweb.org
- Good Friday Service, 7 p.m., Our Savior Lutheran Church, 745 Front St. S., www.oslcissaquah.org
- Good Friday Service, 7 p.m., Pine Lake Covenant Church, 1715 228th Avenue S.E., www.plcc.org
- Good Friday Service, 7 p.m., Eastridge Church, 24205 S.E. Issaquah-Fall City Road., eastridgetoday.com
- Easter Egg Hunt, with 50,000 eggs, inflatables, prizes and candy, 9 and 11 a.m., and 1 p.m. Eastridge Church, 24205 S.E. Issaquah-Fall City Road., eastridgetoday.com
- Eggs-stravaganza pancake breakfast and Easter Egg hunt with face painting and bounce house, 9 a.m., Pine Lake Covenant Church, 1715 228th Ave. S.E., $12/family, $4/individual, www.plcc.org
- Faith Church, Easter Egg Hunt and pancake breakfast, 9:30 a.m., 3924 Issaquah-Pine Lake Road Issaquah, www.faithunited.org
- Easter Vigil, 5 p.m., Eastridge Church, 24205 S.E. Issaquah-Fall City Road., eastridgetoday.com
- Easter Vigil, 8 p.m., St. Michael’s and All Angels Episcopal Church, 325 S.E. Darst St., 392-3125, www.stmichaels-issaquah.org
- Easter Vigil, 8:30 p.m., Mary, Queen of Peace Catholic Church, 1121 228th Ave. S.E., www.mqp.org
- Easter Vigil in the Holy Night, 9 p.m., St. Joseph Catholic Church and School, 220 Mountain Park Blvd. S.W., www.sjcissaquah.org