Local’s horse Commanding Curve will skip Preakness for Belmont Stakes

May 12, 2014

By Staff

NEW — 3:45 p.m. May 12, 2014

Commanding Curve, the second-place Kentucky Derby horse partly owned by Issaquah resident Dennis Poppe, will not run in the May 17 Preakness.

“We’re going to run the Belmont Stakes in four weeks,” Poppe said. “We needed a longer ground time. We wanted to be at our best at Belmont.”

Contributed Commanding Curve, partly owned by Issaquah resident Dennis Poppe, will skip the Preakness in favor of running in the Belmont Stakes on June 7.

Contributed

He said had the 3-year-old colt won the Kentucky Derby, the horse would have run the Preakness in Maryland. However, with the strong second-place finish, Poppe said the owners are looking to focus on the future.

The Preakness race is the second leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown.

Other Stories of Interest: , , , , , ,

Comments

13 Responses to “Local’s horse Commanding Curve will skip Preakness for Belmont Stakes”

1. Jerry Gilbert on May 13th, 2014 8:29 am

I had thorobreds (raci ng) for many years and avidly watch for the Triple Crown. I thought Commanding Curve ran a really big race. What was most impressive was the last lap where he put on tremendous speed and was closing fast on California Chrome. He did need a bit more track. If he stays sound and trains well, he has a good shot at the Belmont. Good luck!!! Jerry

2. Debra Stebbins on May 13th, 2014 7:51 pm

California Chrome got lucky Curve you will be the next winner

3. Sharon on May 15th, 2014 10:33 am

I was planning on betting to win on Commanding Curve! If his jockey had made his move sooner, he could have won the Derby!!

4. sam soloman on May 15th, 2014 7:25 pm

Commanding Curve is a come from behind distance runner. Calif Chrome is a nice horse but not triple crown material. He was fading in the Derby after the one mile mark.

5. Mike Mondi on May 17th, 2014 7:41 am

Cali. Chrome is a GREAT horse who has proven himself in ALL of his last 6 races!
    If anyone needs more proof than that then they should perhaps turn to DOG racing.
    I think Commanding Curve had his race but he doesn’t have that 2-0-1 Triple crown in him. That’s why he was 199 to 1 in the derby.
    But who knows Cali. Curve could fall down and lose.

6. Scott on May 17th, 2014 4:27 pm

I really think if Curve had more track like the Belmont has he would have beet California Chrome. Curve is well rested, Chrome is wearing down, I truly believe it’s going to be a great race with Chrome, Curve, Ride on Curlin, Social Inclusion…..

7. Jim H on May 17th, 2014 9:41 pm

I love horse racing. However, I am no expert. That being said I am an athlete and I firmly believe that had C Curve had made an earlier move he would have crossed the wire ahead of Chrome. Of course Chrome let up a bit to cross the finish line but even one more furlong would have put Chromes nose to the grind stone and the nose would have went to Commanding Curve…Impressive move to cover track. What I really don’t understand is that to this point he has had no recognition from the professional analyst???? Really, as much as I would like to see a triple crown winner and as much as I like the story of Chrome…by adding a little more distance to the track and giving the Jock a little talk…Curve wins the Belmont. That’s were I’ll put my money. Will be interesting to see what the handicappers have to say.

8. Doris on May 18th, 2014 5:19 am

I love California Chrome. I bet on him in his last 2 races and was glad I did.
    As for Belmont I’ll have to do some research. I will bet on him to either win, Place
    Or show. He will come in I’m sure of it.
    He’s a super horse and has what it takes to take all 3

9. Patricia on May 19th, 2014 9:39 am

I liked this horse too! I’m sorry he didn’t run in the Preakness. I’m looking forward to seeing him run in the Belmont.

10. Joe the plumber on May 19th, 2014 1:28 pm

I aint no expert at horse racing…really do love horse racing..I sick to what I know, which is plumbing. But what I saw on the derby was Calif Chome loosing had there been more distance. Commanding Curve came from 2nd to last next to ride on curling and blew by all of those horses to come in 2nd…now that’s a lot of stamina if you ask me..bottom line my hard earned money is on Commanding Curve for the Belmont Stakes.

11. da horse guy2 on May 26th, 2014 7:48 am

People need to understand that California Chrome ran the perfect race in the Derby whether he had 1 or more furlong to go. What most people are not seeing is the other horses were stopping and slowing down giving the impression Commanding Curve was closing in on Chrome. The race was a slow one and if you work out Commanding Curve last quarter it was slower than California Chrome last quarter while easing up. Point is the Chrome ran faster in the Preakness and still accelerated when asked then eased up again. He will accelerate away at the top of the stretch in the Belmont and will not be eased this time as he will simply run full out and show his dominance. A true champion. Remember none of the other 3 yr old horses has run in front of him as yet. CHROME ALL THE WAY

12. da horse guy2 on May 26th, 2014 7:52 am

Wicked Strong is the only 3 yr old that will come looking for the Chrome at the finish line about 4 lengths too late.

13. LUIS CARRILLO on May 30th, 2014 11:58 am

I TOO SAW THE KENTUCKY DERBY AND I BELIEVE THAT IF COMMANDING CURVE HAD MORE GROUND HE WOULD HAVE WON.