October 15, 2013
The following students made Washington State University’s President’s Honor Roll for the 2013 summer semester:
Issaquah: Mackenzie Bauer, Megan Biddle, Morgan Danner, Anthony Dematteo, Alyssa Egland, Eunice Kwon, Erin McKee and Sayeed Sadat.
Sammamish: Cameron Avcu, Mary Bosseler, Kristin Bryant, Kenzie Fleischman, Samantha Gottschalk, Ally Hochanadel, Chelsea Horton, Hayley Johnson, Jacob Krahling, Mitch Matsuo, Alexander McCartney, Dean Mingo, Heather Rife and Amelia Student.
October 8, 2013
Liberty High School student earns top score on ACT
Liberty High School senior Galen Posch earned a top composite score of 36 on a recent ACT test.
Fewer than one-tenth of 1 percent of students who take the ACT nationally earn a top score. Posch is one of only 781 students nationwide to receive a 36, out of 1.66 million students who took the exam.
September 10, 2013
Local student graduates from international campus
Andrew Napier, 23, of Issaquah, graduated Summa Cum Laude from Berklee College of Music’s first international campus in Valencia, Spain, with a Master of Arts in scoring for film, television and video games on Aug. 27.
Napier was among the first graduating class of Berklee’s Valencia campus, and was one of just 20 students to receive the degree.
Napier was one of 74 international students from 26 countries to attend one of three masters programs at the Valencia campus. After graduation, Napier relocated to Los Angeles to pursue his music career.
August 20, 2013
Local student makes UR dean’s list
Isabelle V. Chu, a sophomore majoring in cell and developmental biology at the University of Rochester, has been named to the dean’s list for academic achievement for the spring 2013 semester.
Chu, of Bellevue, is the daughter of Lawrence and Janet Chu, and a graduate of Issaquah High School.
July 30, 2013
Local students named to deans’ lists
- Emma O’Melia, of Issaquah, has been named to second honors on the dean’s list for the spring 2013 semester at Clark University in Worcester, Mass.
- Clare Pfeifer, daughter of Jerome and Cindy Pfeifer, of Issaquah, has been named to the 2013 dean’s list at Lawrence University, in Appleton, Wis. Pfeifer is a 2010 graduate of Liberty High School.
- Nicholas Ryder, of Issaquah, was named to the dean’s list at Tufts University Boston.
July 16, 2013
Emily Cox inducted into Bucknell honor society
Emily Cox, of Sammamish, has been inducted into the Alpha Lambda Delta honor society at Bucknell University, in Lewisburg, Pa.
Cox, the daughter of Kathryn and John J. Cox, of Sammamish, is a 2012 graduate of Lakeside School. Cox is a first-year student in the Bachelor of Science program, majoring in Neuroscience.
July 9, 2013
Local students make deans’ lists
- Connor Higgins, of Issaquah, was named to the dean’s list at Duke University for the spring 2013 semester. To qualify for the Arts & Sciences dean’s list, students must rank in the top third of their college.
- The following students from Issaquah were recently listed on the 2013 spring semester dean’s list at University of Portland: Kelsey Hu, Laura Parsons, Madeleine Hutson, Megan Rossman, Samuel Breed, Sarah Underwood and Shelby Miller.
July 2, 2013
-Hailey Williams and Rachel Jones, of Issaquah, graduated from the University of San Diego on May 26. Williams graduated Magna Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and sociology. Jones earned bachelor’s degree in business administration.
- Emma Dunn, of Renton, a member of the Pomfret class of 2013, received a diploma and an award at school’s 119th commencement May 26. Dunn also received the Religion Department Award for excellence in the study of religion.
- Elizaveta Hermann, of Issaquah, received a Master of Physician Assistant Science degree at the 162nd commencement exercises May 5 at Saint Francis University, in Loretto, Pa.
-Tyler Buchanan, of Issaquah, graduated May 11 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology from Rice University, in Houston, Texas.
- Alan Lau, of Newcastle, graduated May 19 from Villanova University, in Villanova, Pan., with a Master of Science degree in finance.
- Nicole Gillett, of Issaquah, graduated with a in environmental science May 20 from Colorado College, in Colorado Springs, Colo.
-Jessica Lee, of Issaquah, graduated May 25 with a Bachelor of Science in mathematics and a Bachelor of Arts in economics and business, from Lafayette College, in Easton, Pa.
-Taylor Hamann, the son of David and Kelli Komendat, of Newcastle, graduated with a degree in communications May 19 from the University of Puget Sound on May 19.
- Molly Bankson and Kylie Clark, both of Issaquah, graduated May 12 from Gonzaga University, in Spokane, on May 12. Bankson graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Business Administration. Clark graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology.
- The following local students graduated May 4 from Montana State University, in Bozeman, Mont.
Issaquah: Erika Whitney, with highest honors
Sammamish: Briana Bywaters, with honors and Nicholas Kosenkranius
-Deano Anderson, of Issaquah, graduated from the University of Montana Western in Dillon, Mont.
-Thomas Haffner and Kelly West, both of Issaquah, graduated from Whitman College, in Walla Walla.
-Julia Baxter, of Issaquah, graduated May 20 Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in music education from Samford University’s School of the Arts, in Birmingham, Ala.
- Camden Minervino, of Issaquah, graduated from Stanford University with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology and was awarded the Stanford Award of Excellence. Camden graduated from Eastside Catholic High School in 2009.
-Jay M. Willis, a 2005 graduate of Skyline High School, graduated from Harvard Law School in May 2013. He will join the law firm of K&L Gates in their Washington, D.C., offices.
- Shannon Farazi received a Doctor of Dental Medicine in Dentistry, Cum Laude, from Boston University in May.
-Hannah Nicklas, of Renton, earned a Bachelor of Arts in music industry, from the University of New Haven, in New Haven, Conn.
-Vonna Thomas, of Issaquah, earned a Doctor of Ministry degree May 26 from George Fox University, in Newberg, Ore.
Local students make OSU honor roll
The following students recently made the spring 2013 honor roll at Oregon State University, in Corvallis, Ore. (to qualify, students must earn at least a 3.5 grade point average):
Issaquah: Devin O’Donnell (straight As) and Sarah Jacobi
Renton: Kyle Mannari and Victoria Rivoire
Sammamish: Avalon Dunbar and Kelly Johnson
June 25, 2013
April Curtis honored at St. Olaf College
April Curtis, of Issaquah, was recognized for academic achievement at St. Olaf College on May 3 during the college’s annual Honor’s Day convocation. Curtis also received a Fulbright Scholarship.
She will teach English in a secondary school in Sofia, Bulgaria, and research Bulgarian folk dancing.
In order to be recognized at Honor’s Day, a student must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.6 or higher.
June 18, 2013
Issaquah resident receives theater scholarship
Teresa Micheletti, of Issaquah, received a $1,000 Margaret Green Siegley Scholarship for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Micheletti, a junior at Western Washington University, is majoring in theater with a focus on stage management and expects to graduate in June 2015. Micheletti is the daughter of Joe and Tami Micheletti, of Issaquah.