Sammy the Salmon seeks Salmon Days festival volunteers

September 23, 2014

The growth of the Issaquah Salmon Days Festival requires more people to help put on the award-winning community celebration Oct. 4-5.

About 100 people are still needed to help the more than 150,000 people who typically come to the festival each year.

Volunteer shifts are available in areas such as the children’s favorite Field of Fun, festival set up, retail support, transportation logistics and more.

Read more

Master gardener’s corner — Bugged or elated?

September 23, 2014

I was down at Boehm’s the other day. The weather was gray but warm, and I was feeling a little flat.

When I got out of my car I sniffed the air to see if I could find the wonderful scent of chocolate. I couldn’t. I couldn’t because the smell of a fantastic rose overcame everything. It flooded the parking lot, the air and me. It was terrific. I was uplifted just by that smell.

The sense of smell is very strong and capable of bringing back images and memories that we think are lost, including childhood experiences or maybe a fantastic meal. A nice memory can lift your mood and change a cloudy day into a sunny one. I’m not sure if you can overload your senses or not, but it would be fun to try.

Read more

Community news roundup — graduates, military, scholarships, National Merit, Associated Students

September 23, 2014

Local students graduate from Seattle Pacific University

Issaquah: Jenive Brooks, Bachelor of Arts, psychology; Heather Clauson-Sells, Doctor of Education, doctoral studies in education; Pallavi Dua, Master of Science, information systems management; Joanna Harmon, Master of Arts, teaching; Jaclyn Kopson, Master of Arts, business administration management; Madison Maloney, Master of Arts, industrial and organizational psychology; Abigail Platter, Magna Cum Laude, Bachelor of Arts, art; Daniel Schafer, Master of Science, information systems management; Kristina Schwartz, Master of Arts, teaching; Kerry Truell, Master of Education, literacy; and Tara Walker, Magna Cum Laude, Bachelor of Science, mathematics

Read more

Issaquah photographer’s work goes international

September 23, 2014

“Snow Racer” and “Snow Monster,” created by Julie Clegg, of Bailey & Banjo Pet Photography in Issaquah, was recently accepted into the Loan Collection of Professional Photographers of America’s 2014 International Photographic Competition.

'Snow Monster,' by Julie Clegg

‘Snow Monster,’ by Julie Clegg

Clegg’s work will be on display at the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville from Feb. 1-3. The International Photographic Exhibition is held in conjunction with Imaging USA, an annual convention and expo for professional photographers and several photographic associations.

Read more

Recycle with purpose at electronics’ event

September 23, 2014

Windermere Real Estate teams up with 1 Green Planet to host its inaugural electronics recycling event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 27 at its Issaquah office, 1810 15th Place N.W.

“A lot of people aren’t sure where to take their electronics, big appliances, motorcycles, barbecues and a number of others things to properly get rid of them, so we are providing them with the opportunity,” Erin Etchemendy, Windermere sales and listing coordinator, said. “We also really want to give 1 Green Planet the chance to get their name out there so people know where to go in the future.”

Read more

Wedding — Blankenstein-Tanascu

September 23, 2014

Craig and Cathy Blankenstein are pleased to announce the marriage of their daughter Kellie Blankenstein, of Issaquah, to Jason Tanascu, of Gardiner, Montana. The wedding was May 31, 2014, at Swans Trail Farms, with Ron Webb as their officiant. A reception followed at the same location.

Jason Tanascu and Kellie Blankenstein

Jason Tanascu and Kellie Blankenstein

Parents of the groom Gary Tanascu and Linda Ludwig, of Gardiner, Montana, joined them in the celebration along with maid of honor Lizzy Phillips and bridesmaids Rachel Blankenstein, Emily Knobel, Kelsey Mark, Meghan Makelky, Meghan Mullen, Becca Shelton and Lyndsey Taylor. Ashton Robidou was a junior bridesmaid and Gracee Robidou was their flower girl.

Read more

Engagement — Zahedi-Spung

September 23, 2014

Shawn and Alex Zahedi, announce the engagement of their daughter, Leilah Deborah Zahedi, to Abraham James Spung, son of Shari and Scott Spung, of Sammamish.

Abraham Spung and Leilah Zahedi

Abraham Spung and Leilah Zahedi

The couple met at Emory University, in Atlanta.

Read more

Delane Agnew completes private pilot certificate

September 23, 2014

Delane Agnew completed her FAA private pilot certificate at Rocky Mountain College with a check ride June 29.

Contributed Delane Agnew celebrates receiving her private pilot certificate as a sophomore in the Rocky Mountain College aviation program.

Contributed
Delane Agnew celebrates receiving her private pilot certificate as a sophomore in the Rocky Mountain College aviation program.

Delane is the daughter of Scott and Annie Agnew, and is a sophomore majoring in aeronautical science at Rocky Mountain College.

The aeronautical science program includes a four-year baccalaureate degree that prepares graduates for careers as professional pilots.

Read more

Valedictorian launches new law firm

September 23, 2014

Christina Asavareungchai Park recently launched her own law firm, Park Business Law PLLC.

Park focuses on helping entrepreneurs, startups and small businesses with the motto, “Small business law, made simple.”

Park previously worked as an attorney for two large law firms in Seattle, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP and Stoel Rives LLP.

Read more

Art by Heart comes to Salmon Days

September 23, 2014

Art by Heart, a nonprofit organization founded by three ninth-graders at Skyline High School, interacts with children with different abilities while spreading awareness about such conditions to the community.

Art by Heart will bring awareness about Autism Spectrum Disorder by partnering with the Autism Society of Washington at the Salmon Days Festival Oct. 4-5.

Join these teens at Art By Heart booth No. 653 in the Field of Fun area from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. both days. In addition to learning and spreading awareness about autism, there will be face-painting, drawing, quizzes and a raffle.

Learn more here.

« Previous PageNext Page »