Fear of gas leak shuts down downtown Issaquah

September 17, 2014

NEW — 11:12 a.m. Sept. 17, 2014

Police and firefighters descended on downtown Issaquah this morning, blocking off streets and trying to clear the area of people, after someone reported the smell of gas in the building that used to house Mills Music.

“After the North Bend gas leak, we were being extra careful,” said Patrol Sgt. Paul Fairbanks, of the Issaquah Police Department.

An explosion caused by a natural gas leak leveled several buildings in North Bend on April 25.

Read more

Burst gas pipe sends at least four to emergency room

December 17, 2013

A burst gas pipe at the Cedar Hills Landfill south of Issaquah sent nearby residents to the emergency room Dec. 7.

That evening, neighbors began smelling a great deal of gas in their homes and responded by calling Eastside Fire & Rescue and the King County Solid Waste Division. According to an EFR report of the incident, all responding members identified gas in the area.

“Engine 71 proceeded to the address and was met by the homeowner,” Lt. Jason Ward’s EFR report reads. “The homeowner stated the smell of gas in the area was very strong. All three members of Engine 71 could smell landfill gas in the area.”

Supervisors at the scene found that the gas line used to pull landfill-produced methane gas into the Bio Energy Washington plant had ruptured. They immediately shut down the gas to the pipe.

Read more