February 24, 2015
Registration is filling fast for the March 7 Lake Sammamish Half Marathon.
The half marathon takes runners along the smooth trail that connects Marymoor Park in Redmond to Lake Sammamish State Park in Issaquah. About 30 percent of the course will be on smooth gravel surface and the remaining 70 percent on pavement.
January 1, 2015
NEW — 6 a.m. Jan. 1, 2015
State Parks offers 12 ‘free days’ to visitors in 2015
The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission recently released its schedule of days in 2015 when visitors are not required to display the Discover Pass to visit a state park.
The “free days” are in keeping with legislation that created the Discover Pass — a $30 annual or $10 one-day permit required on state recreation lands managed by Washington State Parks, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, and the Department of Natural Resources.
December 31, 2014
It’s the time of year when people make resolutions, to decide to do better, be better.
We at The Issaquah Press have decided to make some resolutions on behalf of the city and its residents. We hope you will adopt them and keep them.
December 30, 2014
Lake Sammamish State Park, considered by many to have been long neglected financially by the state, will be annexed to the city of Issaquah as of Feb. 1.
The park may or may not be in line for some state funding for a new boat dock. But in any case, the park soon will have an executive director to aid with future rebuilding of the facility, said Chris Kovac, president of the community group the Friends of Lake Sammamish State Park.
The Friends will hire a director to help guide the organization and the park.
December 23, 2014
With a unanimous vote at its Dec. 15 meeting, the Issaquah City Council formally annexed Lake Sammamish State Park, making it part of the city.
The annexation includes 300 acres of parkland, beaches, the park picnic area and the boat launch, said Trish Heinonen, city long range planning manager.
December 14, 2014
NEW — 6 a.m. Dec. 14, 2014
While the plan needs the approval of the Issaquah City Council, local and state officials seem ready to move forward with the annexation of Lake Sammamish State Park into Issaquah.
The park currently is in unincorporated King County.
City officials have long worked with state officials on park improvements and planning for its future, said Trish Heinonen, the city’s long range planning manager. The proposed annexation would continue the partnership, she added.
The council formally takes up the annexation at a public hearing set for 7 p.m. during its regular Dec. 15 meeting.
December 6, 2014
NEW — 6 a.m. Dec. 6, 2014
Design plans for a new, all-accessible playground at Lake Sammamish State Park will be unveiled at 7 p.m. Dec. 9 during an open house at Gibson Hall, 105 Newport Way S.W.
The open house is hosted by the Friends of Lake Sammamish State Park.
The state park has two playgrounds that are not up to standards for safety or accessibility. The new playground, not yet funded, will be accessible for all ages and abilities, according to a news release from the group.
December 4, 2014
NEW — 6 a.m. Dec. 4, 2014
The second annual Lighted Holiday Boat Parade on Lake Sammamish, sponsored by Lake Sammamish Yacht Club, is at 5 p.m. Dec. 6.
The best viewing will be from the beach at Lake Sammamish State Park. Enjoy lighted boats, singing carols, a bonfire and hot chocolate, compliments of the Friends of Lake Sammamish State Park.
December 3, 2014
If our money goes there, we should get free access
Well, folks, the Issaquah City Council said that no taxpayer funds would be given to Lake Sammamish State Park items. So much for that hokey council promise.
November 25, 2014
For the Friends of Lake Sammamish State Park, the proposed floating docks are part of an overall plan that predates even the founding of the group and that has been in the works for between five and 10 years.
In early November, the group received word that the plan for new boat docks off the shores of Sunset Beach has received approval from the Washington State Recreation and Conservation Office.
“We want to see the currently developed areas of the park improved,” said Chris Kovac, president of the Friends group.